Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2013 sportsman 500 ho a few weeks ago and had to use my winch a few times to pull my buddys honda out (haha) but when im using the winch my battery flashes on dash. It does it each time u pull. Is that normal?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Do you have engine running while you are running the winch? The winch is definitely a huge drain on the battery.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Motor should be running..... unless ur pulling at near maxx limits for very long time with lights on....no the battery light should not be flashing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine has done that from the start.... a few seconds of pulling under load and the battery light flashes.
Ive even had my battery light come on from just idling with hand warmers and low beams on..... brought it up to the dealer when I brought my atv in for a different reason and forgot to ask about what they did if anything when i picked it up. lol. :ponder:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have it running and lights on. Maybe i should turn lights off. It even done it when i was letting the winch out. And its a new bike snd winch.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Check to make sure the connections at the battery are tight. I plow with our 500, and had the same issues last winter. Retighten battery cables and no issues at all. If kept in the cold get a battery tender.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine has done that from the start.... a few seconds of pulling under load and the battery light flashes.
Ive even had my battery light come on from just idling with hand warmers and low beams on..... brought it up to the dealer when I brought my atv in for a different reason and forgot to ask about what they did if anything when i picked it up. lol. :ponder:
So does it still flash? Or did they fix it?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I am starting to think maybe some of the wireing they give with winches is sorta under spec...I made my own cables from 4 guage Marine wire...and no problems...the bigger the cable the better the pipeline of power...smaller cable will realy make a winch draw....its like extension cords...use a cheap 100 footer compared to a contractor grade...big difference...cheaper ones you feel the plug ends getting hot from the resistance of a smaller guage wire in them....

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am starting to think maybe some of the wireing they give with winches is sorta under spec...I made my own cables from 4 guage Marine wire...and no problems...the bigger the cable the better the pipeline of power...smaller cable will realy make a winch draw....its like extension cords...use a cheap 100 footer compared to a contractor grade...big difference...cheaper ones you feel the plug ends getting hot from the resistance of a smaller guage wire in them....
Funny you should mention that, because my wiring was super long and obviously designed for a bike with a rear mount battery - plenty of extra cable length. Since my batter is up front, the contactor is mounted right above the winch. I shortened the cables to reduce the resistance and crimped on some new ring terminals. I figured there was no reason to put extra strain on the electrical system.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a 2013 850 XP with a 2500 lb winch. The dealer told me that all Polaris do this. The winch uses so much juice that your bike can't charge the battery fast enough. When I plow. They told me if you see the battery light flash. Take the quad around the block and ride in High. That will charge the battery again. Then, plow again. And, I have not had an issue since. I also try not to plow, and use any lights at all. Keep my fog lights off too.

Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts