Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was plowing yesterday my winch cable snapped. I noticed the other day few thread on the cable was cut, eventhough the cable goes in and out in a smooth rollers and this was the 3rd time using it. The cable probably is 1 foot short now is there any way fixing this and maybe coating the cable.

Thanks!
Giorgio

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
You can get a crimp on connector, loop it back through the hook and reattach it. But the best thing for plowing is to take off the 50' of line and put on a shorter plow strap that is about 7' long. Then you don't wear out your cable as fast.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can get a crimp on connector, loop it back through the hook and reattach it. But the best thing for plowing is to take off the 50' of line and put on a shorter plow strap that is about 7' long. Then you don't wear out your cable as fast.
Thank you for the info. I was looking at home depot website and you can only get the crimp with shipping not available in store. I am going to need it this weekend are there any stores that carries them. I also need to measure the cable size.

·
Registered
286 Posts
If you are just plowing and in a pinch, get these

Lehigh Wire Rope Thimble and Clamps-7310S-12 at The Home Depot

And by the way, Home Depot has crimpers and wire in the store. If you are going to buy a new shorter piece of wire rope to replace your winch cable, the HD fellow will put one together for you in the store, using their crimpers. That way you don't have to buy the crimpers or order the set up on line. In other posts, I see that some fellows go to walmart and get the boat winch cable which already has the connection hook on the end of the cable

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Go to a local hardware store and buy yourself a "Swaging Tool" (Large Crimper) and the "ferrals" to put on the cable. You'll have about $40-50 into the supplies, but you'll be set from here on out!!

If you'd like to "coat" the cable to help, I'd try some type of heat shrink type tubing and install it prior to swaging the hook back on.

Also..... Make sure your Roller Fairlead is FREE OF ANY BURRS!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are just plowing and in a pinch, get these

Lehigh Wire Rope Thimble and Clamps-7310S-12 at The Home Depot

And by the way, Home Depot has crimpers and wire in the store. If you are going to buy a new shorter piece of wire rope to replace your winch cable, the HD fellow will put one together for you in the store, using their crimpers. That way you don't have to buy the crimpers or order the set up on line. In other posts, I see that some fellows go to walmart and get the boat winch cable which already has the connection hook on the end of the cable
Thank you. One thing I am not familiar with how the cable is attached at the end of the winch. Once you pull the cable all the way out you can unhook or unscrew the end of the cable to come loose?
I'd rather buy a shorter cable 7-10 feet from HD and let them do the crimping like you mentioned.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Most winch cables are attached to the drum through a hole which the cable passes through and is secured with a grub. Go get a PWC trailer strap and simply duct tape the end to the drum and reel it in under tension... it will save you a lot of anguish it the future!! Then in the spring, just swap out the strap with your cable.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
go to wal mart an get a boat winch strap...its 20 feet long with a hook on end....20 feet is plenty....just remove the cable...and duck tape the end of strap to the winch drum so it feeds in with the strap on bottom..then feed it in....it wont come lose once its in there..been using these for years.....10.99...

Shoreline Marine 20' Winch Strap: Fishing & Marine : Walmart.com

·
Registered
105 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
they work good..I broke one a few years back at the hook...I just folded it ..ran thru eye tied a knot..been good since...

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
go to wal mart an get a boat winch strap...its 20 feet long with a hook on end....20 feet is plenty....just remove the cable...and duck tape the end of strap to the winch drum so it feeds in with the strap on bottom..then feed it in....it wont come lose once its in there..been using these for years.....10.99...

Good Idea
I found this to be a slight improvement over the walmart strap and once you cut it in half you have two plow straps for one money!
2" x 20 Ft. Tow Strap

It has 2800 lbs. working load and like 8400 lbs breaking strength! I got this idea from someone else but came across the strap at Harbor Freight and it was much beefier and it's been working great!

·
Registered
101 Posts

I bought one of these for my plow, but had to return it because it won't work with a front mount plow because the line needs to go through a small pulley before it hooks to the mount. A strap like this is way too wide.

If you have a front mount plow, you can just get an 8' synthetic rope and use that.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Coating steel cable won't help with breaking, it's the repeated bending at a sharp angle that breaks the strands. Best bet is a synthetic cable or a strap. I'm using a strap but have found they do slip on the drum and need to bere spooled once in awhile. Just going to get a short synthetic cable for plowing.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
i have never had a strap slip....just using the first 2-3 feet and 17 still on spool...but i guess it can happen...maybe the Gorilla tape I have on there is helping..loll

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I finally fixed it. I had to remove the whole winch out since there was no way findings the broken end of the cable. Mostly the cable was damaged, stuck here and there. I got rid of the cable and went quickly to Home Depot and got myself 10ft of cable with coating on it and a clamp kit. I installed today and seems working ok, still not to confident I ordered 50ft synthetic rope online. For now this should give me enough time to do some plowing after another storm we are having tonight.
Thanks again with all the input from you guys.
Giorgio

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Red..the storm is here now..lol....its snowing like crazy here in W. ma now....you should of got the uncoated cable...once the coating starts to come off from use ..its a mess...lol....but should not be to messy as you are only using 3 feet of cable tops....the up an down on the rollers does it in fast....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts