Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use them? How good are they and how hard to install? Do you have to remove the cable all the way out to run it through it?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have one on my winch. The purpose is to prevent the hook from scratching up the fairlead rollers, especially if you have a synthetic rope. When I changed out my old synthetic for a new one (Amsteel blue) I put it on. I also changed out the fairlead. I ordered it at the local polaris dealer not asking how much it was going to be. When I picked it up I expected $$$$, but turned out to bee only $13.00 including tax. I had to look in the box to make sure they ordered the right part.
I actually had a dog play toy which worked perfect. It was round, had a hole through it, and is softer than the one you looked at on Amazon but firm enough to not tear. Was only a couple of bucks in the pet store.

·
11,285 Posts
Yep, keeps the hook from rattling and prevents overtightening the cable. Just remove the hook, stick the cable through and reinstall the hook. Takes about three minutes. Some of the guys up north use a hockey puck.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I got a tennis ball on mine. Just punch a hole through the ball, remove hook and insert. IMG_7090.jpg

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Yes, it also serves as a safety tool.

When winching you run or slid it down cable about 2/3 of its distance and should cable break it serves to help get the cable to the ground quicker.

Bacic winch safety is throw a floor may or blanket over a cable used to pull or anchor. Same reason, to deaden or absorb energy and protect bystanders.

Also works well for rattles and klanks. ;)

CW

·
Registered
361 Posts
One came with my synthetic rope kit but still sits in my garage tool box. I don't use it because I hook my cable on my bumper so I don't have to reach down in the muck to get it. I bet it works well though if you crank your cable in all of the way.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I use a "Dog Kong" on both of my machines......

Costs about the same.... @ $7-8

1 - 8 of 8 Posts