Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be just a dumb question, but according to the handle bar switch, the winch winds in over the top of the winch spool.

Here's why I'm wondering about that now. I did some plowing yesterday, and the synthetic rope, I guess, doubled back on itself a couple of inches not much. Like it went underneath the spool then spooled over itself. Not a huge problem, but I had to pull it out to get it lined back up again. This is easy to do, because when I drop the blade the winch rope might be a little slack. I can't really tell if it is or not. It's really hard to hit it perfectly right.

Now the Warn instructions for the synthetic rope said to spool it in UNDER the spool. Thinking about it, spooling in under the spool might prevent this doubling back thing. But if I did that, my handle bar switch would be opposite. Meaning "IN" would send the cable out, "OUT" would draw it back.

I'm not sure. Over or under. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
6 Posts
i'm not a 4 wheeler mechanic, but am a construction worker, and I've worked with HUGE winches. The only issue would be as you said, the switch will now "work backwards". but that could be probably be fixed by simply swapping the wires in the switch itself. Or, tear the label off so you don't know its working backwards!!!Lol. Actually, I have a 2011 Sportsman x2 550 which I recently bought a plow for. My problem is the plow came off a 2005. The mounting brackets from quad to plow are different. Does anyone know If I buy the mounting bracket for my quad, will it mount up to the "first generation"(?) Glacier plow system. As this is all made by Polaris, I would imagine they have something in place for such issues. So, problem is: The plow system came off a 2005 Sportsman. I have a 2011 Sportsman 550 X2. The mounting bracket does not fit my 2011. So if i buy the mounting bracket for the 2011, will it fit on the plow? Or, do I need a welder? Thanks.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found it. Warn Synthetic Rope Install. Here it is:

Step 2
Note: The cable should always pull from the bottom of the drum. A minimum of eight wraps is required on the drum for all winching.

My winch winds in from the top. IN on the switch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My winch has always spooled in from the top on my ATV. If spooled from the bottom, I would have to reverse the wires so the switch works properly. The cable would also ALWAYS be running on the bottom fairlead due to the location of the winch. I haven't had any problems with spooling from the top in the 5 years I've had this machine.
Another note...synthetic cable all the way, but use a hawse fairlead!

·
Registered
361 Posts
just a side note, HOW you spool on the winch wire depends on the WINCH.
most winches only have a 1 way brake.
by this i mean, when under tension, the winch should PREVENT and HOLD the winch wire in tension.

the issue isnt about the switch being hooked up differently, its the safety issue that should be addressed.

Hope i helped.

·
Registered
361 Posts
So if the winch was wound at the factory over the top, the brake will only work for tension from that direction?
Yes, unless you have a 2 way brake, which is extremely rare...
if from factory it was winded over the top, it would only have a brake that works when turning clockwise (perspective of standing on the right side of the winch (where the motor is most oftenly))
this being said, if you turn if COUNTERCLOCKWISE (same perspective)
the brake wouldnt work, could eventually cause damage to the winch itself, will be frustrating for you and can be dangerous...

by frustration i mean that you will wind the winch up, and while under pressure it would either fail or just "let go" as if the clutch was open...

like i said, it really depends on the winch, and it should be stated on HOW the winch should be winded in the instruction manual....
im pretty sure i read about this issue when installing a winch on a friends grizzly, and reading about this in the WARN manual... (we had to wind the winch wire as we were switching it to syn. )

hope i helped.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Silly question but which side does your motor hang off of? If you turn it around on the mount it should be feeding from the bottom. Probably zero difference... It's all in the orientation. Lock should still be fine. Just more torque on the mount beings its pulling up high vs down low. I think.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Silly question but which side does your motor hang off of? If you turn it around on the mount it should be feeding from the bottom. Probably zero difference... It's all in the orientation. Lock should still be fine. Just more torque on the mount beings its pulling up high vs down low. I think.
you could turn it around as it wont be an issue, although, in most scenarios, we dont have a winch on the bumper like a car does,
the problem starts when you try to flip it over, you wont have enough room, bolts wont match, on older sportsman you couldnt as the winch was in a high place, and there was a hole drilled out in the plastics so the hole wouldnt match the flipped winch, same as on some winches, the clutch lever becomes inaccessible.
there is usually 0 issues IF you can flip the winch over (unless its an open type, where water would stay instead of draining) but you just have to make sure it fits, and that the mounting plate can support it. (i have seen afew mounting plates to have a different top and bottom, and saying "this way up".

like i said. you could do it, IF the mounting allows it and that there is no change in accessibility to the features.

(remember, some winches are only meant to be mounted "top up" and not upside down. so it really depends on winch to winch.).

hope i helped. (P.S. no questions are silly , learning is the key part in questions, and one day you could help someone with a similar problem.)

·
Registered
361 Posts
I was actually thinking spin left/right not flip upside down... As in motor left or right of fair lead. Sorry if I mis-spoke.
just wondering how you would do that? you cant switch the place where the motor is...
EX:
when looking at the front of the atv, the motor of the winch is on the left side, only way for the motor to be on the right is if you flip the whole winch upside down, thus making the motor on the right....

sorry if im not understanding...

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's just 2 or 4 bolts holding it to the mount. If yours is on the left as you are looking at it, think about unbolting it and turning entire winch minus bracket, to the motor on right, to feed to the front it would have to come off of the top. Still wound the same... Just would feed off top of spool not the bottom. I think we're confusing each other.

·
Registered
361 Posts
It's just 2 or 4 bolts holding it to the mount. If yours is on the left as you are looking at it, think about unbolting it and turning entire winch minus bracket, to the motor on right, to feed to the front it would have to come off of the top. Still wound the same... Just would feed off top of spool not the bottom. I think we're confusing each other.
this will put the winch upside down... which is exactly what i said in 3 posts prior....

sorry for not being more clear... (English isnt my first language)

·
Registered
3 Posts
So if the winch was wound at the factory over the top, the brake will only work for tension from that direction?
Yes, unless you have a 2 way brake, which is extremely rare...
if from factory it was winded over the top, it would only have a brake that works when turning clockwise (perspective of standing on the right side of the winch (where the motor is most oftenly))
this being said, if you turn if COUNTERCLOCKWISE (same perspective)
the brake wouldnt work, could eventually cause damage to the winch itself, will be frustrating for you and can be dangerous...

by frustration i mean that you will wind the winch up, and while under pressure it would either fail or just "let go" as if the clutch was open...

like i said, it really depends on the winch, and it should be stated on HOW the winch should be winded in the instruction manual....
im pretty sure i read about this issue when installing a winch on a friends grizzly, and reading about this in the WARN manual... (we had to wind the winch wire as we were switching it to syn. )

hope i helped.
So what you are saying is when unspooling down a steep cliff it is dangerous because there may not be a brake in the unspooling direction? Not so sure if I believe that.

·
Registered
361 Posts
http://www.warn.com/industrial/winches/images/1327/75282C0.pdf this is a good example of a big winch having 2 way brakes, page 8

http://www.polarisatvforums.com/for...oning-winch-line-feed-technical-question.html
starts at comment #7, like i said, it all depends on the winch, SOME winches have DUAL brakes (they brake and keep tension BOTH WAYS)
while SOME winches only feature a one side brake, only keeping tension while PULLING.

that being said, MANY winches that are designed for ATV's feature a 1 way break, to save money in production, weight, amount of parts and so on.
BUT the main reason is SIZE, they try to keep the size of the winch down to allow for bigger winches or for smaller atvs for example.

like i keep on saying, SOME winches have this feature and some DONT, so, do you want to play it safe? if so, leave it the way it is, if you REALLY want to change it, i sugest reading the instruction manual OR calling the winch company if it isnt stated in the manual...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.