Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not being that machanically inlcine, just want to know how hard is it to replace the cable on a winch and how long would it take? Do I have to buy winch cable from a atv supply is it not the same as 3/8 airplane cable I can purchase off the spool from Home depot at a fraction of the cost.
Thanks.
P.S. I bought my ATV used and didn't realize the past owner had cut 40' off the cable till I went to use it

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be nice but the price for it is crazy here It's alot cheaper in the U.S. then in Canada. Almost three times as much as wire.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Chugnbug if you find a cable that has the same weight rating as the airplane cable it is safe to use. check the cable at home depot and see if its rated to pull around 2000 pounds. Im guessing for the size you need its not even half of what you need. It isnt hard to change the cable it will be easier of course if you take the fairlead off. And if your new cable is from bulk or isnt marked
already do yourself a favor, when you whine up the cable get 3 rolls on the drum take red spray bomb and paint 2 to 3 feet of cable in front of your winch. This will help you from pulling to much cable out when winching. when you see the red paint quit pullin out cable
If you can afford it get synthetic winch rope.Its alot nicer to use, one piece of advice carry a short chain or strap to wrap around whatever you anchor to.this will save your expensive synthetic from getting cut from your hook .

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Copper thanks!!! thats great advice and I'm going to switch it out tommorow, planning on going out on Wensday for a good ride in the snow and was feeling uneasy about being ill equipt.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
One more tip I carry 75 feet of xtra cable plus 2 35 foot straps with my 50 ft winch cable I can reach 195 feet. I ride by myself alot . your winch Only works if you can anchor it!!! :naughty:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey Chopper
Swapped out the cable, easy to do just wanted to say thanks for the encouragment. Only had to use it to pull out my buddies king Quad lol. Being a new rider and knowing there is alot of new riders on this forum I think it would be helpful if some of the more experinced riders came out with a thread or section of important things to bring onboard when going out riding i.e tree straps first aidkit tools and clutch belts ect.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
No problem glad to help. Ill give you another winch tip. If you get stuck to were your winch is not enough to pull you out say deep mud and your pushing mud ahead of you. you can do 2 things carry a block and tackle this doubles the winch power . you basiclly anchor a pully ( block and tackle ) and run your cable threw it basiclly double your line this will double your pulling power. Or if you dont have the cable length for this or dont have one raise your anchor point if you can. if your on a tree go up to head height, this will raise your machine up a little and over some of the mud. when putting your cable this high though throw a coat or chain over the middle of the line. so if it breaks it falls to the ground and not across your face.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts