Polaris ATV Forum banner

Winch cable swap to Synthetic rope?

17K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  faawrenchbndr 
#1 ·
My '13 850 XP Touring came with, I assume, a Polaris winch. I should look for a label.
The cable is already shot. I have barely even used it. Im sure there was some operator error trying to get it wrapped up when I did use it but it seems as though it is frayed in some spots, its rusting and the whole units needs some lubrication somewhere. Pretty squeaky.
I think I am going to swap out the cable with synthetic rope. Fairleads are still new no burrs no need to replace them unless they won't work with synthetic rope.
I wondering from somebody who has done it what kind of a pain in the balls this is going to be? Any suggestions on which rope to buy? Is 50 ft max length? Is there any other parts needed to make it work? Would love to add a remote as well but not neccessary.

#3 · (Edited)
When I switched over I replaced the metal rollers on my fairlead with the UHMW type. Then it's just a matter of winding in the new rope after you strip the cable off the spool. There are several threads on here about it, some have pictures.

Winch Tips for ATVs, UTVs, and Side-x-Sides | ATV Illustrated

I buy from Phil at Warrior Unlimited also....good prices and fast shipping. He's a member here.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. So it's pretty straight forward then it sounds like. Definitely a must do for me. I just need to educate myself on the different fairleads. When I get on the pc I will check that website a little closer. I appreciate it.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
You will be just fine using the factory roller fairlead.....as long as there are no grooves in the rollers from the cable.
If you have wear on the rollers, it would be best to replace them

#7 ·
i just bought a syn cable from warrior last week, was on sale for like $43. i haven't installed it yet, but will after im done plowing this spring.

#8 ·
I'm in same position you are in. I did a little research and found it's not difficult at all to replace the cable. I'll be doing mine in the next couple of weeks when I get the chance. Update us on how things went when you get it done. I'm going to check out the recommendation you received on getting the synthetic rope also.

#9 ·
I personally would not use a metal roller fairlead on synthetic....the slightest burr cuts it..they rust an that wears rope also....i have both the aluminum hawse and the synthetic roller fairlead and I love the roller on much better....not a single fray in the rope and its used alot...and no friction...seen on alot of the 4x4 truck forums those using rope are going over to the synthetic rollers over the aluminum..

#12 ·
Really? Damn I just bought the Polaris auto stop with the hawse fair lead. I'll keep my factory Polaris roller one, and buy the UMWH or whatever the abbreviation is for those rollers later on.

#11 ·
I just bought my cable from Phil too. There are multiply colors available as well. I ordered it Thursday. But, I have not heard anything if its been shipped yet. I talked to my dealership. They say it takes about a half hour to do. Its easier with two people. One to hold the button on the winch and the other to feed the cable back and forth. I have to buy a new bottom fairlead. I'll change mine this spring too. Another thing that I read about the rope. 1.) Its stronger. Its stretches. 2.) Its 1/7th the weight. 3.) If it breaks, just retie a new knot. And, go. 4.) When it breaks. The cord does not fly back at you. It will just drop to the ground.

#13 ·
Rally you just buy the kit with just the rollers....and use your polaris one with the new rollers....its like 25.00 ....when the rope and rollers move together ..no friction or riding one spot like on the aluminum...I have aluminum on my suzuki and broke rope ..the synthetic rollers will get a good work out this spring beside the plowing this winter

#15 ·
So I just got around to making a purchase. I used WarriorUnlimited as suggested by Al53.
ATV WINCH ROPES
I bought 50 ft of rope the billet fairlead and the bumpstop. Just under 100 with shipping.
Once I get it in and not riding the sled I will install and update all on how it went. Thanks for the replies.

#16 ·
good millpond....he sells good products....with synthetic rope there is amsteel and amsteel blue...Blue being the better it has a higher tensile strength......

here is some info on it Samson Ropes: Amsteel & Amsteel Blue

lots of the ebay sellers just sell amsteel or plain dynema rope...why so cheap...the best is Plasma rope...very expensive..lol..the strands look like that yellow poly rope..thick...50 feet of 1/4 " was like 250...way over kill...haha....

#17 ·
Here's a question........I see there are winch ropes available with a "terminal end" installed.
How is this attached to the drum? Bolt and nut?

#18 ·
the terminal end looks like battery terminal end..the drum or drum side has a threaded hole...you just secure with a round head bolt...some winches dont have that...they have a run thru slot...run cable thru it..then across the drum...secure with some thing like duck tape and spool over the tag on the spool..suppose to prevent slipping

#19 ·
Thanks,......just ordered a set of rollers, a plow rope and a new synthetic rope from WarriorUnlimited. Will have a spare on hand if I need it. Decided to get the terminal end aded to the rope.

#20 ·
Darn it,.........dealer ran the synthetic rope over the top of the spool when they installed it last year.
Guess I need to fix that this weekend as well.

#21 ·
Thanks for the links. Planning on ordering one of the Warrior Unlimited ropes. Quick question though. My 2007 Sportsman 800 came with a winch (2500 I believe) from Polaris, included in the "deluxe" package. Do I need the regular end or terminal end on the rope? I know I could run all the cable out and check but was hoping someone here knew off the top of their head. Thanks.

#22 ·
My Polaris 2500 uses the Regular End, not sure if its different between years. I think Warn used to make the Polaris winch, now someone else does, so it may have changed.

Did my swap yesterday. Swapped the cable out for an Amsteel blue Syn Rope, with the Polaris Auto Stop fair-lead and rubber stopper. works great, have to see how it does in a real situation sometime!

#23 ·
Just received my parts from Warrior Unlimited. My winch ended up being a Polaris 2500 HD. First thing I noticed I should do is file the set screw base down from a point to a flat. The rope just feeds through a hole with a set screw to hold it down. I'm not sure what a terminal end looks like. I may put a metal crimp on the rope itself then tighten the set screw on it even tho it may not be necessary. Next issue being, I did order the billet fairlead because I think it looks cool BUT there is no room to use the hardware it came with. The winch bracket is so tight to the winch that I forced to use the existing carriage bolts that stick out. So in order to get the nuts tightened up I need to machine the bolt holes a little bigger so I can get a socket on the nut. No big deal, I have a buddy that is going to do that for me tomorrow. If I had bought the UMWH fairlead this job would have been done in a half hour. I had thoughts of returning it but it is gonna look pretty good when it's done. I just wanted people to know basically that you don't need a terminal end and with the same winch set up I have the other fairlead is the way to go. Here is a couple pics. I will take a couple more when it's done.i Wire Technology Electronic device Cable Electronics accessory
Auto part Metal Wheel
Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Car

#24 ·
Just snip the loop off and push it through hole. You can leave the heat shrink on , cut it just before the loop.

#25 ·
The only problem with roller fair leads is that if you are winching in high or low side angles there is a possibility of the rope getting snagged up in that space where the vertical roller meets the horizontal roller. With the hawse fairlead that can't happen.

#26 ·
There is no loop to cut off. I was just pointing out the set screw that held the cable in the drum had a pointed tip. I just filed it flat so it had some bite on the rope. Probably shouldn't have even mentioned it. Once I get the bolt holes opened up a little so I can get a socket on to tighten the nuts up then I'm good to go. It's gonna be a pretty sweet set up. I couldn't believe how frayed and rusty the cable was I took off. I barely used it.

#27 ·
So much easier to deal with rope , I use the rope to get me through situations and replace it when needed. The flat 2" boat trailer hand winch strap cut to 10' with the hook on the end worked flawlessly for running the plow this winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.