Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm struggling to find a good way or place to mount this thing. From the wiring diagram it gets a positive wire connected to each end. This leaves no mounting connection points for the breaker aside from those same positive lead ends. I am assuming that none of this breaker should come in contact with any other metal on the ATV. Is that correct or can it be fastened down to an aluminum body mount?
Due to all the nuts on the back it also leaves no flat surface for securing to.

I know some guys have tossed this and replaced with other circuit breakers, for now I just want to get it finished up.

How should I mount this damn thing so I don't create a short somehow?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I wrapped that ugly arse thing up in black electrical tape; nice and thick. And zip tied it to the frame with the nuts facing away so it is less likely to short out!
No real nice way to do it.... I was going to heat shrink tubing over it but didn't have a size big enough on hand and just wanted to get the darn thing installed.
No problems yet with 40hrs and 500km's on it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Wrapping it in electrical tape will work for a while... But keep in mind that these are thermal circuit breakers, so they operate off the temperature of the electrical contacts to "trip" and "reset". Covering with several layers of electrical tape will inhibit cooling of the internal components and may lead to the breaker "tripping" more often.

I hate to say it, because you seem to want to use the factory breaker, but the best way to install it is to throw it away and buy a real circuit breaker. I went with this Blue Sea Systems 100A Circuit Breaker and mounted it on the fuse block bracket as shown below.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts