Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new snow plow for my 2013 500 HO and everybody says to run synthetic rope instead of the stock wire cable. I've purchased the rope and all the sources said to change to the rope fairlead instead of the roller type because the scratches on the rollers from the cable will tear the rope. For all intents and purposes I have never used the winch and have checked the rollers and there are no scratches/nicks to cut the rope. Are there any other reasons, such as the rope getting stuck between the horizontal and vertical rollers, to buy a new fairlead? The new fairlead is only $20 or so, but I see no reason to change it out. I will be keeping the 50ft rope on permanently. Thnx for help.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I run a roller with syn, but it was new so no scratches.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I changed over to rope on my suzuki..it had the roller fairlead..it chewed the rope up....now on my Sportsman i have a warn with cable..I am switching to rope but getting a Hause fairlead non roller...15.00 on ebay....rope is to expensive to have chewed up....i was told by a good source that when u wind in the rope to soak a rag in cheap amor all and run rope thru it when winding it on...gives it some lube an UV protection...for what its worth...3M also makes a synthetic rope lube or protectant..just need to find the name again....but to me rollers dont work with rope so good as the all aluminum fairleads....

·
Registered
422 Posts
In my years of Jeepin, I've never seen anyone run synthetic rope without a hause fairlead. I'm pretty sure the roller with rope is a no-no for good reason... The rope is too expensive to cheap out out on getting the correct fair lead IMHO.

·
Registered
164 Posts
One thing to remember the aluminum hause fairlead can get knicks in them as well from rocks etc. And can still chew them up.but rollers can let the rope get in between unless you make some mods. I've run them both ways. Its how well you keep a eye on everything. I've also run the nylon rollers but they get knicked as well. Personally I would run the aluminum. And carry something to smooth out a knick if you notice any.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
One thing to remember the aluminum hause fairlead can get knicks in them as well from rocks etc. And can still chew them up.but rollers can let the rope get in between unless you make some mods. I've run them both ways. Its how well you keep a eye on everything. I've also run the nylon rollers but they get knicked as well. Personally I would run the aluminum. And carry something to smooth out a knick if you notice any.
Thanks! I am going to swap out my come for a rope come spring.

·
Super Moderator
7,074 Posts
My WARN XT25 came straight from WARN with a roller fairlead and the synthetic rope. Works great and have never had any of the issues that some people say you can. Not sure if it is just sales hype or what, but roller fairleads work just fine. Just be sure the rollers are in good shape if switching from steel to synthetic. No need to spend the money to swap over to a Hawse if your rollers are okay.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
My WARN XT25 came straight from WARN with a roller fairlead and the synthetic rope. Works great and have never had any of the issues that some people say you can. Not sure if it is just sales hype or what, but roller fairleads work just fine. Just be sure the rollers are in good shape if switching from steel to synthetic. No need to spend the money to swap over to a Hawse if your rollers are okay.
Thanks Bob!! I am pretty sure that I can buy replacement rollers for my Warn RT 25. I totally forgot that the XT has a rope and rollers!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Thanks Bob!! I am pretty sure that I can buy replacement rollers for my Warn RT 25. I totally forgot that the XT has a rope and rollers!!
Yes replace the roller per WARN >> Warn Industries - Winch Rope for ATV & Side X Side Winches: Synthetic Rope Replacement Kit

1 - 10 of 10 Posts