Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would make a winch go out slow? When I'm plowing and want the plow to go down it goes really slow and takes a couple of seconds to start powering out. The father up I have the plow the harder it is to get it to go out.

This is a 2500 super winch. Free with the wheeler when I bought it and already installed

Sent from my Triumph using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Powered out?

are you using the regular winch cable?

it could be wadded up on the spool causing it to release slowly. It's recommended to use a short cable or strap for plowing.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea powered out. Like when the motor is actually running. I have a 6 foot cable on there and it's not wadded up. It takes a couple of seconds for the winch motor to kick in.

·
Registered
434 Posts
is it always exactly the same time or does it fluctuate? could be bad contactor

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the time varies. Where are the contactors?

·
Registered
434 Posts
under front plastic infront of shifter

·
Registered
434 Posts
if you get someone to help you you should be able to put your hand on it and get someone to hit out and it should be instantanious you should feel it click if it takes a while problem is between it and switch if its instant and it takes a while for your winch the problem is between contactor and your winch or take your plastic off and you could do it yourself (hand on switch and contactor) theres other ways to do it this is without any tools

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What does the contactor even look like? Why would it be in front of the shifter. The dealer installed the plow I would assume most everything is under the front cover.

·
Registered
434 Posts
the contactor is 2 solenoids in one, one for out, one for in. every winch that has a little switch instead of the old style turn knob has one. the reason it will effect either in or out just one at a time is because one side(one solenoid) is coroded or dirty and seizing up
and it is just a little black box on a little bracket off the frame inside the wheel well it has four big wires and two small big onse are red positive, black neg, blue and yellow are in and out small onse are purple and green to switch

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll look for it. Are you talking about the terminals getting corroded? If so maybe I could take it apart and clean it up

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are they always located in the same place? I have a 550xp

·
Registered
434 Posts
im talking about inside the solenoid/contactor itself and im not sure where it is on the xp models a quik google search or follow the wires from winch would be your best bet

·
Registered
181 Posts
the contactor is 2 solenoids in one, one for out, one for in. every winch that has a little switch instead of the old style turn knob has one. the reason it will effect either in or out just one at a time is because one side(one solenoid) is coroded or dirty and seizing up
and it is just a little black box on a little bracket off the frame inside the wheel well it has four big wires and two small big onse are red positive, black neg, blue and yellow are in and out small onse are purple and green to switch

First off a solenoid converts electrical current into mechanical motion.In this case he may have a faulty Relay.The relay sends current to the winch for one direction then the relay reverses the polarity for the winch to turn the opposite direction. A prime example of a solenoid is on a starter.When the switch is turned to start, the solenoid kicks the bendix into the flywheel and then the starter turns over the engine.I would take the machine into a heated environment and then see what happens.How are the battery terminals? Ken

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Battery terminals are clean. The winch works fine going in, but out it hesitates.

Looks like the contactor is mounted on the radiator right side.

Does the contactor normally come with the winch?

·
Registered
434 Posts
relay, solenoid same difference they both let direct power from the battery go through as to not burn out your switch, in any application you use a relay you can use a solenoid, vice/versa it has absolutely nothing to do with a starter benix if you take the contactor/relay/solenoid apart you will see it is 2 relays in one witch is how it reverses polarity one activates and puts positive wire to blue wire neg to yellow, other puts pos to yellow neg to ground

·
Registered
181 Posts
A relay is just what it says it is.A solenoid transfers electrical current to mechanical motion.I used a starter as an example.Look them up in a dictionary.You are 100% wrong. A winch does NOT have a solenoid.The motor to the winch is directly wired to cables from the Relay.If you look at the wires going from the switch to the relay they are relatively small.The cables going to the winch are much heavier.The relay job is to relay current to the cables going to the winch.Either in one direction or the other or just to reverse the polarity.Plane and simple.
For you information, I have been working on starters,relays for the better part of 45 years.I know what I am talking about.
Solenoid= a coil of wire that acts as a magnet when electrified so that a moveable core is drawn into it.
Relay=Transmit as of electrical current to act to relieve others.
Websters collage dictionary, Hope this will inform you, Ken

·
Registered
434 Posts
ok your right my bad relay/contactor basicly the same thing solenoid different thanks for the information, i was using the wrong terminology. but the winch has a contactor not a relay

·
Registered
128 Posts
if you google a winch contactor you will find some decent pix. If you look a the two heavy gauge wires coming off you winch back to contactor... well you'll find it :) I really don't know if cleaning the contacts will help. But it's worth a try, I don't believe you can, generally, take them apart.

good luck,
lesn8r

·
Registered
434 Posts
my polaris contactor could be taken apart and has an o-ring seal on it, i replaced it with an aftermarket one witch cannot. the popo one i believe just had screws holding it together

1 - 20 of 57 Posts