Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased a Polaris 2013 Sportsman 400 HO and purchased a kit
of the 2500 LB winch to install.

First thing I noticed was that the instructions were for several ATVs 400 HO, 500 HO, 800, 6X6, International. So, this gives one reason to doubt that all you need to know will be provided.

I noticed that the CONTACTOR-w/Cover did not have a cover and so all instructions about pulling wires through it were out the window. Too, I noticed that there were several extra pairs of wires (RED AND BLACK) that I would not need. There were little plastic boots to stretch over the connections when complete. There are enough little boots to cover and protect all connections both on the CONTACTOR and the WINCH.

What is true is that the Sportsman 400 is shipped ready for the installation of the winch and the two wires (Black-ground and Red-hot) were right up front secured by wire ties ready to connect to the Contactor.

I found the four support holes to secure the winch were not exactly lined up and I had to ream out the bottom passenger hole to allow the bold to start.

As far as getting to everything, the instructions were OK and you need to remove everything from the cover over the radiator which goes up under the light pod to the front deck, the light holder and the front gril. The front grill will need to be cut our as indicated in the instructions. It is set for cut out and should go well, just don't cut below the top of the mesh grate.

There is no place to secure the CONTACTOR as in the instructions. I just made an adaptor from metal and secured it to the frame in the front away from the radiator and the winch. I wire tied all the wires up out of the way.

The Handle bar switch comes with a ribbon wire housing which is long enough to reach from the handlebars to the CONTACTOR where there is a pre-wired white connector which only has one way to go together. There is a red wire just under the light pod which comes from the switch ribbon wire and it will connect with the ORANGE/WHITE wire which has a black shrink wrap over it's end to insure it does not short out stuff.

I had trouble with this as there was nothing in my instructions about this red wire and I called several Polaris service departments and none were able to help me, but Mr. McWrench came across with the goods and wrote this:

"The orange wires (white stripe) with the black heat shrink covering the ends are your ATV's key on accessory wires. Either one of these wires will connect to the red wire from your handle bar mount winch switch. There is NO SPECIFIC way to secure the wires, using common sense just secure them where they won't interfere with anything. I ususally just zip tie them out of the way."

So thanks to Darren for his input.

I suggest one keeps all bolts, screws, plastic rivets and such separate and
hear at hand as you will have a hand full and each is different and requires an different tool. Be careful with the plastic pop rivets which hold the light housing. The center part of the rivet comes out then the entire rivet can be
removed. Tear up the plastic rivet and replacement will be difficult.

They place the battery high above the driver rear tire and the positive post
is impossible to see much less get a wrench on to. Even if you remove the seat, you can see the battery but you cannot get access from there. Remember, they supply a longer bolt so that when you are ready to connect the winch lead which is just behind the battery and hangs down and is labeled, can be positioned for installation. Disconnect the battery both positive and negative before everything and reconnect using the new positive bolt when everything else is done.

Everything went back together well but it took more than one hour because if you have a question, there will few who know the answers and I had to just set everything down for a day or two while I tried to get answers.

One thing I liked was that everything is there with room to work about around like the cars were back when one could replace a generator or starter.

I wish you good luck if you decide to install a winch. It is not a hard job if you have the recommended tools. Remember the toque wrench is needed.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Hello & Welcome :wave:

Can't quite tell from your post if your "ranting" or "raving"....

But, the instructions should be listed for all those models..... 400 HO, 500 HO, 800 EFI & 6X6, as they all have the same exact chasis (and then some on the 6x6), body plastics, suspension, diffs and tranny. The only thing different between these models is the engine, brains and stickers!! So, instruction are correct. They have to cover all the base on the instructions. With the power connectors already up front under hood it allows for easier installation.... good thinking on Polaris's part!! I'd cover the connectors with the boots to help anything from coming in contact and shorting out. And yes, the battery pacement isn't ideal!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Winch Installation

Oh, I was not ranting except that did not know what the red wire was for and how to or what to do with it. I called the dealer and several other Polaris dealers asking: "What is the red wire that is on the Switch Ribbon cable and what do I do with it?"

Mr. McWrench came through with the answer but had I actually taken the time to read the instructions I would have seen on page 5, #5: "Plug the red/white wire with the male spade connector into the orange/white with the female spade connector in the main ATV harness. The end is located under the access panel removed in Step 1.

So actually, it was my fault for not reading, but surely, the technician at the dealer should have known this. But it is water under the bridge. Now it is true that there does not appear to be a place to bolt the CONTACTOR to the frame.

No, I was not ranting nor raving, just trying to add to the commentary on winch installation. I hope I did not come across too bad because I am very
happy with my 2013 Sportsman 400 HO. I think I just got frustrated because I did not want to make a mistake and short out something or not have the winch work properly.

·
11,136 Posts
According to microfiche there IS a place to bolt the contactor just like most other polaris atv's under the right front fender.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where to secure the CONNECTOR

I thank you for your assistance. Maybe I am missing something. On the 2013 Sportsman 400 HO, the radiator slants forward and touches the front of the frame at the top. On the right and left and touching the radiator and the frame is a plastic shield, there is no room between the shield and the radiator or frame to place the CONNECTOR.

The cables from the ATV are from left or driver's side and when the CONNECTOR is attached to the winch and power cables, there is about 6" of
play. There is nothing outside the shield except the wheel and support. It appears to me that the only place to secure the CONNECTOR is to the frame just above the winch and to the left just a inch or so from where the ATV cables were wire tired. There are no holes as there were for the winch placement.

I don't have this microfishe you speak of but if you could let me know where one is supposed to secure the CONNECTOR, I would appreciate it. This is my first ATV and my first winch to install so your help is appreciated.

I have attempted to attach a photo of the front of my ATV. If my image did attach, you will see the CONNECTOR with all wires attached and for the life of me, I cannot see where the CONNECTOR is secured unless somehow it might go behind the radiator but the cables seem too short for that.

I am sure I am not the first person to wonder about this.

Again, thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where to secure the CONNECTOR

I thank you for your assistance. Maybe I am missing something. On the 2013 Sportsman 400 HO, the radiator slants forward and touches the front of the frame at the top. On the right and left and touching the radiator and the frame is a plastic shield, there is no room between the shield and the radiator or frame to place the CONNECTOR.

The cables from the ATV are from left or driver's side and when the CONNECTOR is attached to the winch and power cables, there is about 6" of
play. There is nothing outside the shield except the wheel and support. It appears to me that the only place to secure the CONNECTOR is to the frame just above the winch and to the left just a inch or so from where the ATV cables were wire tired. There are no holes as there were for the winch placement.

I don't have this microfishe you speak of but if you could let me know where one is supposed to secure the CONNECTOR, I would appreciate it. This is my first ATV and my first winch to install so your help is appreciated.

I have attempted to attach a photo of the front of my ATV. If my image did attach, you will see the CONNECTOR with all wires attached and for the life of me, I cannot see where the CONNECTOR is secured unless somehow it might go behind the radiator but the cables seem too short for that.

I am sure I am not the first person to wonder about this.

Again, thanks

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Thought the mounting plate was under the right fender, not in front of the radiator...no?

Sean

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'll try get a pic of mine tonight and post up for you.... if someone doesn't beat me to it.

·
11,136 Posts
Contactor mounts right on top of #10 splash guard. The winch prewire harness should be right next to it and the holes for mounting already drilled.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Issues with installing my winch

I too installed a Polaris 2500 winch on a Sportsman 500 and I have two complaints. First the two self threading bolts supplied to install the contactor are too soft to actually cut any threads without stripping. I had one just starting to cut then it stripped. I had to hack saw the thing to get it out. A run to Homedepot to buy some better quality bolts helped with that. The second is no mention in the instructions where to find the winch power cable back by the battery. There is no mention of that cable at all, I would say that is a key part in getting the winch to run.

As I looked at the instructions they say printed in China with might explain the whole experience I had.

A one hour installation turned into maybe a four hour experience.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I too installed a Polaris 2500 winch on a Sportsman 500 and I have two complaints. First the two self threading bolts supplied to install the contactor are too soft to actually cut any threads without stripping. I had one just starting to cut then it stripped. I had to hack saw the thing to get it out. A run to Homedepot to buy some better quality bolts helped with that. The second is no mention in the instructions where to find the winch power cable back by the battery. There is no mention of that cable at all, I would say that is a key part in getting the winch to run.

As I looked at the instructions they say printed in China with might explain the whole experience I had.

A one hour installation turned into maybe a four hour experience.
I installed a winch on my friend's Foreman and the instructions were poorly translated and I had a blast laughing at the instructions. :lmao:

I don't like the original location of the contactor box on my SP800 so I put it behind the air filter box. There is enough space to install it and maintain it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts