Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently had issues with my winch...first, it would only wind in, but not out....I took apart the contactor, and found it to be stuck...after cleaning it up real good, it works both ways now....Now my issue is that the winch kills the engine when operating it....I know its because its drainining the battery, because I have to pull start it after this happens...I was wondering if anyone could explain what my problem may be....Also worth mentioning...it did this prior to me cleaning the contactor... HELP!!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Must be a short somewhere??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any ideas where to start??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'll start there....thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What baffles me is that the bike starts and runs fine....about 6 seconds of operating the winch and the engine stalls....Then I have to pull start it...after running for a few minutes I can shut it off and start it like normal....So I know it is charging...how can I test a soleinod??? I hate when I can't figure something out...

·
Registered
4 Posts
It could be a bad battery. When my battery was weak it would make the motor stutter when I ran the winch; plus, the winch operated slowly. I changed the battery and it cleared up both problems. My guess is a weak battery is starving the ignition to attempt to operate the winch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Was it a weak battery?

I know this is a bit late, and I hate to revive an old topic, but I was wondering if the problem was a weak battery? I am having the same issue with my 2005 Sportsman 500. When I use the winch it kills the engine unless I keep it rev'd up. That makes plowing the snow a bit more difficult. I do get the battery icon on the panel every so often, even when not using the winch.

Just wondering if it is worth buying a new battery? Any places cheaper than a Polaris shop for picking up a battery that fits?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Check for a Interstate they make several alot less that the dealer it does sound like it's the battery my bro inlaw had the same issue new battery fixed it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts