Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Superwinch LT3000 winch today on my new 400 Sportsman. It went ok, and everything works as it should. I watched a Youtube video prior to installing that was a big help, but in the video they were mounting a LT2000 and he said make sure you mount the winch with the cable spooling from the top. I followed his instructions but later saw in the manual that the winch was to be mounted with the cable spooling from the bottom (I also researched the LT2000 and it says the same thing). After looking at it, and reading stuff online I have mixed feelings about correcting it. The angle looks much better for plowing (which will be its primary use), and others have stated this online saying it is better for the cable to be top spooling. Others say that you should follow the manufacturers instructions and that it could effect the braking mechanism. I'm just looking for suggestions. I'd obviously be more than happy to leave it as is, but also dont want to replace it after using it for a few months.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you have an owners manual or an installation manual it should tell you how to place the winch in the mount. Mine, for instance, instructed me to place it for top spooling. I have a Superwinch Terra 3500.

seabee78

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
the proper way to have a winch spool is to the bottom....if you look at warns winch instalation they say dont spool off the top....my winches all instructed tohave cable spool off the bottom...if you spool off top you have all the energy pulling the winch up.....

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've been keeping tabs on this thread and its got me thinking. I was wrong in what I stated about how my manuals instructed to mount my winch. It does say to mount so the winch under spools. So i quick looked at my rig and that was how i mounted my winch. I'm sorry for the misinformation.

seabee78

1 - 6 of 6 Posts