Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a warn winch with synthetic rope and im trying to remove the rope to install a lifting strap for my plow. Do i just cut the rope off? Seems hard to get the knot out of the hole in the spool. Im sure there is a trick but like the title says im new lol

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
is the knot tucked into the hole?

you could try twisting the rope as you push it back into the hole. This compresses the rope giving it more force as it pushes in.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes its stuck in the hole and i did try twist method briefly. Dam thing is like a wet noodle. Even when i do get the knot free, do i just cut it off?

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I wouldn't. shouldn't be that hard to untie. it's just a single knot if my memory is correct. Unless it's been melted together. In that case I'd cut it. The most you'll loose is a couple of inches of length.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
If you can't get the knot untied just cut it off. When you go to push it back thru the spool in the spring..... wrap the end with black electrical tape tightly. Spiral it to a point and hit it with a shot of WD-40. I use a small but long screwdriver to help poke it in until I can grab the tip of the tape with my needle nose pliers and pull it thru.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
If you need a winch strap...get a strap that goes on a boat trailer winch...they work great an cheap also...they are 20' and has a 4000# rating...and they cost 11.00 at wal mart..then when done put your rope back on an put strap in your box for tow strap or for use winching out ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts