Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are so many choices out there. What I want to make sure of is that I get the right mounting hardware and winch that will mount in the bumper "knockout" area of my 2002 now that I got the brush guard on. Just like this... Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Buy polaris brand. I recently did, it came with a bracket that mounted up to factory holes, and even supplyd the neccesary bolts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I've seen lots of good reports on the low cost Badlands winches at Harbor Freight. I for one have had a Polaris (Warn), a Warn and a Viper. The Polaris and Warn were great but the Viper's freespool broke almost immediately and the return fiasco was not worth it so I just lived without freespool which sucks.

The Warn was leaps and bounds better in quality and function than the Viper but it was about $100 more with synthetic (which I think also sucks). Steel cable for me! My current ride has an original Polaris winch and it has worked great and it takes a beating (tons of plowing and winching).

If you buy a Warn get it from Rocky Mountain ATV as they are the cheapest. Just buy a winch mount for your ATV and it really doesn't matter which winch you buy as 99% of them all have the same bolt pattern and will bolt to your mounting plate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I ended up ordering an A3000 (KFI) with rocker and remote $197 and the 700 mount for it $49 with free ship. It has just under a 50ft cable. I'm sure it will be more than I'll ever need.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I ended up ordering an A3000 (KFI) with rocker and remote $197 and the 700 mount for it $49 with free ship. It has just under a 50ft cable. I'm sure it will be more than I'll ever need.
Good deal! When your cable starts to fray and kink (and it will under normal use) just make your own at Lowes with aluminum ferruls and cable guides for about $20 bucks. I typically replace mine at least once a year based on condition but you should check the condition of the cable on a frequent basis.

You don't want to be on the trails and have your cable in poor condition.

·
Registered
269 Posts
You will be happy with your selection, I love mine. The directions are excellent also.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Good deal! When your cable starts to fray and kink (and it will under normal use) just make your own at Lowes with aluminum ferruls and cable guides for about $20 bucks. I typically replace mine at least once a year based on condition but you should check the condition of the cable on a frequent basis.

You don't want to be on the trails and have your cable in poor condition.
When it comes time to replace the cable go synthetic, 1/4 inch 50 feet with new fairleads will run between 60-70 bucks and have a 5200# capacity, well worth the investment.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Are you sure you have an '02? The pic is not of an '02 front end. And mine doesn't have a 'knockout' in the front for a winch. The winch bolts to the mount which is below the front grill/bumper.
I upgraded to the Warn mount with bumper after the cheap 'made in china' mount started to bend. It adds a lot more protection to the front end.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
And this is a wench.... : )

Attachments

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Ok....I see the difference now. You have a 700. Didn't know that from the original post. Mine is a 500. Different beasts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Results

Got the brush guard and KFI A3000 winch installed so here is a before and after for anyone interested. It was a real pain sandwiching the winch/mount assembly, bumper, and bumper mount together and getting the 4 bolts through... especially the top right above the winch "wheel". That said I really like it!

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts