Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m definitely putting a winch on and probably getting a plow. Just looking for some advice to help me pull the trigger.

My machine is a 2014 Polaris sportsman 400

Winch:
Looking at the WARN VRX 2500 with synthetic rope or the Kolpin 2500. I get mixed reviews, And know Warn is a reputable winch but can save 100$ on the Kolpin and have heard they’re good as well.

Plow:
The plow would only be secondary to my plow on my truck and for when I go ice fishing. Going back-and-forth between the Moose plow or the Kolpin plow. Leaning towards the Kolpin after looking at them both side by side today. The moose is definitely a bit better built but not 230$ better built in my opinion.

Anyways thanks in advance for the help

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
A Badlands winch from Harbor Freight will do the job and save a lot over the Warn and Kolpin. A lot of guys here have used them, I had a Moose plow on my 325 machine and was happy with it. But when I went looking for a plow to replace it on a newer machine, the Denali plow from Moto Alliance was a lot cheaper. It is built heavy enough and has the mount closer to the front of the machine so the plow can be lifted higher when needed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice Stave7119.

Anyone have any first hand experience With the options I mentioned?

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
Thanks for the advice Stave7119.

Anyone have any first hand experience With the options I mentioned?
As I said, I had a moose plow on my 325 machine since 2006. That one had a warn winch with steel cable that I switched out for synthetic. Which broke the first time I plowed. I think it got hot from all the up and down in the same short section. I ended up with a strap that I wrapped into the winch to carry the load. When I started looking at plows again the moose was about $1000 while the Denali set up was $650 with options. So far it works just fine on the 500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have been using my kolpin synthetic rope for two northern Minnesota winters with no problems also I've winched myself out of some real sh!those and the rope is still holding strong. I do have a warn provantage plow though

·
Registered
89 Posts
A Badlands winch from Harbor Freight will do the job and save a lot over the Warn and Kolpin. A lot of guys here have used them, I had a Moose plow on my 325 machine and was happy with it. But when I went looking for a plow to replace it on a newer machine, the Denali plow from Moto Alliance was a lot cheaper. It is built heavy enough and has the mount closer to the front of the machine so the plow can be lifted higher when needed.
This exactly.

Badlands and Denali. I’ve beat the crap out of mine for 5 seasons and still going strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts