Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, last year my winch started acting up. It would go out just fine, but would not retract. It did this a couple times, but then it was fine, so I ignored it...until the other day when I was plowing. Someone I know had the same thing happen and they gave him a new contactor and it is fine now. So, I figured I would tear into it a bit and see if anything was loose. I pulled the contactor out and this is what I found.

The positive post is all funked up. Could this be the problem? I dont see how it could be since the winch works all the time on "out", so it is obviously having no trouble getting power.

Also, apparently the polaris contactors are junk. Can I replace it with a warn contactor, or something that I wont have to worry about taking a crap on me. I wish I would have just spent the bit extra for the warn off the bat.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Pretty sure the switch is bad mine did the same thing

·
Registered
595 Posts
Pretty sure the switch is bad mine did the same thing
Yea, I had a bad switch also. If it happens again switch the leads around coming from the switch, see if it now does the opposite, reels in but not out, if so it's the switch not the contactor

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thing is, it is intermittent. When it is not working, when I push the "in" there is no click or anything. Does that help?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Not really, if the switch or contactor had an issue that would be a symptom of either being bad. If you mess with the switch click it on and off, or tap on it and it comes on, then I’d say it would be the switch. Not sure what a new switch cost, but you might just replace it since you already replaced the contactor.

·
Registered
993 Posts
My warn switch cost me about 44 bucks not sure what brand winch you have but almost positive that's your problem

1 - 7 of 7 Posts