Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

Just bought a 2011 850xp.

I did not add a winch at the dealership since I thought I'd shop a little and have it installed by my personnal tech.

I never had an ATV with a winch, so I don't know anything about them

I would like to have your advice on them (brands, capacity, etc etc)
What to look for and what to avoid.

Thanks everyone! :)

·
Registered
721 Posts
I got a free Polaris/Warn 2500 winch when I bought my 850. No problems to report. Very easy to install yourself.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Definitely make sure it is sealed against moisture. Some of the cheap one aren't.

With your big machine, you will want a 3500 pound winch.

Go for the synthetic line if you can. It's a bit more $$ but is MUCH easier to handle and easier on your hands and such. It also winds back on the drum neatly every time.

I've got the Superwinch Terra series with synthetic cable on two of mine and they work great. Amazon has a good selection of ATV winches at good prices.

Stew

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Depending on how much you're gonna use it, I would not go cheap. I know people who have bought cheap and they don't last very long. You get what you pay for...
On that note, a real good winch will be pricie. If money is no issue, I recommend a Warn. About as bulletproof as can be. I have a polaris that is similar to the warn and have no issues with it either. Have also heard good things about viper and superwinch (they are slightly cheaper).
I second the synthetic rope advice. My buddy hates his wire cable. Doesn't even pull it off the spool anymore (i just pull him out with mine).
It may be a little overkill, but I have a 3500 on my 500 (got a good deal), and i have never stayed stuck with it. 2500 may be enough, but I'm glad for mine.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Look at the runva's too, I have a 3500lb runva with synthetic cable on my 400 and love it. Cheap, but full metal components, and water proof. I think it was $259, including free insured shipping. I ordered it Saturday night, and got it Tuesday. Not bad if you ask me! Works great, and damn is it ever quiet.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've just done a lot of research and settled on a Superwinch Terra series. Got a great deal on a 3500lb one with synthetic line at
Superwinch has gained a large following in the Jeep community that i belong to. And we're tough on winches. They see heavy use on the trails we run.

I'll be buying another shortly to go on the wifes 550 Touring. Heck, I might even put this 1st on hers. Depends on how nice she is to me.... :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hehehe!!!

Thanks everyone! :)

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I've just done a lot of research and settled on a Superwinch Terra series. Got a great deal on a 3500lb one with synthetic line at Amazon.com: Superwinch 1135230 Terra 35 3500lb Winch with Synthetic Rope: Automotive Superwinch has gained a large following in the Jeep community that i belong to. And we're tough on winches. They see heavy use on the trails we run.

I'll be buying another shortly to go on the wifes 550 Touring. Heck, I might even put this 1st on hers. Depends on how nice she is to me.... :)
I agree!! Check out SUPER WINCH!!

CW

·
Super Moderator
7,022 Posts
Really no need to go bigger than a 2500 lb. winch. If you think about it, you are mounting it on a 800 lb. machine. If you are really stuck, get out your snatch block and now you have 5000lbs. of pull. Not knocking the bigger winches, just don't think there is any reason to spend the money except for the bragging rights to say mine is bigger than yours. :) I have never needed any more pull than what I get out of my 2500 lbs. 1 Warn XT25 and 1 Polaris 2500. Whatever you get, I agree with everyone else. Get the synthetic rope.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I would agree with the 2500 lb thing, except that usually in most cases the price difference between a 2500lb and a 3500lb is not very much, and personally I like to know I've got too much, rather than to little. My dads warn wasn't able to pull him out a few times, not it's fault, he exceeded the limit of the winch with the way he was stuck. But just my .02, because with a snatch block a 3500lb winch makes 7000lb! And believe me, I don't have anyone or anyreason to brag about that

1 - 11 of 11 Posts