Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey im new to the forum, i bought my first utility quad the other day. i sold my 09 kfx450 and bought a 2012 sportsman 500ho since its more suitable for me. so far i love it and everytime i ride im surprised on how much it outshines my sportquad, exept for speed. all my friends have sports quads and dirtbikes so im looking to buy a winch because i dont think any of my friends quads could pull me out of the mud or what not since they just have a blaster and a kfx400 lol. i was looking around and saw that the badland 3000lb winch from harbor freight is a good winch for the price and has a 2 year warranty. i was wondering what mounting bracket i would need to mount this winch, and if it is easy to connect. i would like the mount that mounts down low towards the diff not in the front light panel. also if anyone has this setup could you post a picture? thank you

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
354 Posts
First of welcome to the site and most polaris already come with a pre hookup winch wires. My 07 did so I am pretty sure the 12's do to. They should be located up by the fuse box/ecu! As far as the winch, I have never bought or know anyone running a HF winch brand but with a 2 year warranty sounds pretty good. I think you will know ii the first 8 to 10 uses if it is going to last. The mounting bracket I would think is standard all around. Just buy one for your year and model and bolt in on. May have to drill some new holes in the plate to get the HF winch to mount. Hope this helps and good luch with your new 500 popo!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'm gonna go to the polaris dealer today and see if they will sell me just the winch mounting plate

·
Registered
50 Posts
yes the 2012 is pre wired. the wires for the contactor on mine were zip tied in front of the rad. and the positive for the battery is tucked up under the frame by the battery it is labeled winch wire. the negitive to the battery is already connected.i ordered the warn mount and it fit my runva winch (had to mill down the gearbox side a bit ). the dealer would not sell me one, i was told they only come with the winch when you buy it from the dealer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought my mounting plate and winch on ebay! i get all my goodies from there im a bit of an addict lol. I got the KFI mounting plate and a Runva winch for a fraction of what a "polaris" setup would have cost, works good and haven't had any issues yet!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts