Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased my first 4 wheeler 500HO. I have ridden them on and off all my life. I have had it about a month now and have been looking a many videos and have decided I need a winch. I admit I now nothing about them although I am a great shade tree mechanic. I'm looking for advice on what kind to purchase, what all I need etc. If I decide to approx how much it will cost me? Thank for you input-advice all are welcome....Ricky

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have a venom winch. It was relatively cheap, $150 I believe. Hasn't let me down but I don;t ride in mud and not a lot of water crossings. Some guys swear by Warn but they are up there in price. Runva has a good following also. I think my next winch might be a Badlands from Harbor Freight(search on this forum for reviews). With coupon you can pick on up for ~$50. However, if I rode by myself I would buy a more well known expensive brand just for peace of mind.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found a 3000lb Venom on Ebay for $136 free shipping. Do I need 3000lbs or could I go with a 2000lb seeing my ATV only weighs around 900lbs with me on it. It says it comes with a waterproof kit what is that and are the winches specific to your ride or universal? Do I need anything extra to hook it up? I'm just getting started on my quest and any help would probably save me time and probably wasted money...

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I use a 2000lb on my 800 and it has not failed me in 2 feet of wet snow, peat bog or thick black mud yet

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
173 Posts
Rule of thumb for winch size is 3 times your vehicle weight. I think the more important part is what is the winch i.e. plastic gears vs. metal, waterproofing, etc. You can always increase your winch pulling power by carrying and using pulleys, snatch blocks, etc. when you are really stuck.

I have 2500 on my 850 Touring and it has seen some heavy use already with no issues. I had a 3500 on my '09 800 Touring but only because the dealer threw it in the deal for next to nothing...personally I wouldn't have paid the money for a winch that big.

Whatever you get add some waterproofing to the wiring connections, spray silicone occasionally anywhere the unit has bolts or seals and you should be good.

Most (if you buy them new) should come with all you need to hook them up.

If you don't mind spending the money a winch with a remote is a nice feature if ride alone a lot them you are tied to bike to power the winch all the time. Remote can be wired or wireless these days.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Absolutely get straps.snatch block, and d rings. Riding by youself especially. myself I installed a wireless remote.love it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[BCan I buy an aftermarket winch and will the dealer install and approx how much labor.............[/B]

·
Registered
164 Posts
You said your a fair shade tree mechanic. get complete winch kit and install, not that big of a deal. no need to pay the dealer. Those are good prices for all that you get. Keep shopping you might find a better deal.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Superwinch, or Runva. I will not be buying an overpriced Warn again.

Get the synthetic rope kit too.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
22 Posts
winch

welcome to the board, I have Warn on most of my machines and they have never let me down, They tend to be the most expensive but are worth the price. I have also had very good luck with KFI. The mounting brackets and winch were relatively inexpensive, waterproof, and easy to install. I would stay away from the Harbor freight brand(badlands) as They will leave you stranded once they get significantly wet. They work well in dry locations, but are certainly not for atv applications. Just my educated opinion. Good luck to you. Joe

·
Registered
593 Posts
Also remember that the winch rating is with a single wind on the drum, as you add a second and third layer the rating goes down.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When you say single wire on the drum please explain as I'm a novice on the winch terminology..Sorry for my lack of knowledge..But thanks foe your help...Ricky
Also remember that the winch rating is with a single wind on the drum, as you add a second and third layer the rating goes down.

·
Registered
193 Posts
KFI makes your winch mount and sends it to you for $47 (EBAY)

What he means is that on my 3500# winch, the pull of the 1st drum wrap is 3500#; wrap 2 is 2789; wrap 3 is 2319 and wrap 4 is 1984.

As you can see is about a 45% loss of pull power on the 4th wrap, so your 2000 would be about 1100# without a pulley.

·
Registered
593 Posts
When you say single wire on the drum please explain as I'm a novice on the winch terminology..Sorry for my lack of knowledge..But thanks foe your help...Ricky
If you have a 50' cable on your winch you'll have several layers on the drum, the more layers the large the diameter of the coiled cable is on the drum, the larger the diameter the lower the rating in lb. Just an example, not true numbers, say a 2500lb winch has three layers of cable on it, with almost all the cable wound in, the rating could be like 1900lb Winches are rated with one layer of cable on the drum. I saw a chart once, but can't find it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts