Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which winch would you recommend. I was looking at the Polaris 2500 winch but the new ones, from what i can find, are no longer made by warn. I had the Polaris-Warn on my old 500.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I don't have any recommendations from experience really. I did have the free spool knob come off in my hand the first time I HAD to use it. I have the winch polaris puts on there LE. Granted , I did it in a state of excitement that arose from a roll over. Haveing to spool out the line with the handle bar control (no remote) was a major pain.

The polaris winches are very expensive compared to comprible load ratings offered by other manufactures. Adding a wireless remote (the only way to add remote according to my dealer) costs as much as other winches with wired remote standard.

I have seen guys talk about a Harbor Freigt winch with wired remote in a pretty favorable light on another thread. The 2500 pound Harbor Freight winch goes for around $130. For what you spend on a Polaris winch, you could get two Harbor Freight winches. Spare parts are nice to have around in my option. Please look at winches with remotes, wired or wireless. The safety implications are massive.

Dependability is the most important factor and Warn has a pretty good reputation. But, in my profession I have come to know one immutable fact, if it passes current, it will fail at some point.

When it's time for me to trade out winches, ill buy two from Harbor Freight.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a Polaris 2500 on my 400. In the past two outings I have used the winch 5-6 times to pull friends on similar sized quads out of thick mud. The winch performed flawlessly every time. It might shit out the next time I use it, but nothing you buy is guaranteed to work forever. The best you can hope for is that whatever you buy will last longer than anything else. That being said, I would never gamble on two cheaper items lasting longer than one more expensive item. I believe in the saying that "You get what you pay for". Sometimes you do pay for the name, but when the name is as noteworthy as Polaris I would venture to say they aren't very willing to sell a shit product that could tarnish it. Buy from a company with a good reputation and you should be alright. Companies know that their products will be scrutinized and the findings will be posted on the internet faster than they can say "WTMF just happened???"

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought a Superwinch Terra 35 and mounting bracket off of Amazon.com. I bought the one with synthetic rope. It has great reviews. I put it on my 2012 850xp.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I highly recommend the Viper Elite! I go mudding a lot and it gets submerged almost continuously. It has never let me down, I have the 4000 lbs one and it has never left me stuck! Their customer support is also great, their CEO even hops on a lot of the forums!

·
Premium Member
9,814 Posts
I picked up the warn that is sold by polaris. Its the 3.0 RT. The next one I will buy is the XT because it comes with a synthetic rope n remote. U get what u pay for is my feeling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts