Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This old body needs to make hauling deer a little easier. After pulling deer up a river bank the past several years I’ve realized last year I can’t do it anymore. To many major aches and pains the next day, so my answer is a winch for my 02 325 Magnum.

I’ve tried to research how to attach a winch to my ATV with out much luck. I’ve seen a bracket made by KFI but wondered what my other options would be. I’m looking at Champion 2000, Superwinch LT200 & Rugcel 2000. This winch will probably be used 2 or 3 times a year.

I sure could use some help on the matter and I greatly appreciate any advice on install and winches in general – Thanks !

Uncle Dave

·
Registered
68 Posts
You are going to need a plate on the front of the bike.
Most of them will have a similar foot print to bolt it down, but as you know by your research that plate is the first step.

The pic in this thread has a custom bumper with a plate built into it

The question is do you want to buy a plate or build one?

From there, pick the winch of your choice. Some will argue you get what you pay for, but I would say they all pump out of the same factory with different stickers. So get what you can afford.

Now wiring is simple but has key parts, a switch to control it (you could also go wireless), a solenoid (like an old ford starter) and power connections.

The wiring is usually in a harness to the handle bar switch and the power connections go to the battery.

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
Get the KFI. And a good, cheap winch with plenty of good reviews is the HarborFreight #2500 pounder. For bracket-$50 and winch-$79.00 that’s all you’d need to drag a deer out. Plenty of help here on forum to get you going. Very simple!
Btw-the winches you listed are fine too. I to have a Superwinch!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's good info guys ! Thanks for the photos Heavy, very nice custom brush guard !
I have all the equipment in my shop to make a plate and I enjoy doing that kind of stuff but my eyes say different and time consuming too so will probably find a good place to buy the KFI plate.
My local Farm & Fleet store has the Champion 2000 so will probably go with that.
Thanks for the help Heavy & Sportsman ! I do appreciate the info - I'll keep ya's posted.
Have a good day !

Uncle Dave

·
Registered
68 Posts
Great choice on all fronts.

A few additional thoughts:
  • when installing use blue loctite or nylon lock nuts
  • never trust a Chinese hook, I generally upgrade to hook rated for 2x more than the winch
  • make sure you use dielectric grease on all connections
  • if there is a wire line(vs synthetic) on the winch ALWAYS wear gloves
    • spool the line in neatly and with resistance to avoid damage/kinks

Looking forward to the updates.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good info Heavy - Thanks !
After researching the fit of the KFI plate 100430 for my machine, I found out that because I have a 2 tube front bumper it won't fit and the friendly folks at KFI confirmed that.
Looks like I'll be in my shop after I get the winch and design a plate that will fit, which I don't think will be a problem. Would you use 1/4"thk. steel plate ?
I'm thankful I have good folks here that will help with info as I go.
Feel free to make any other comments here - I appreciate it !

Uncle Dave

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
Most winches come with a generic mounting plate I’m sure you can incorporate into your design as well. Good luck!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sprotsman is correct, I have a cheaper "travelers" 3500 winch here on the shelf and the plate included measures at just over an 1/8th with the powdercoating.

remembering its a small mounting plate and would still need something that covers the open space on the bike.

with that said, I would get the winch, and mock it up to see what your working area is, then determine if you want to keep the tube bumper or really upgrade this project. :cool:

Another thought would be to leave the front alone and put the winch in a cradle on a receiver in the back, the deer wont care which way you drag it.

this one is a little pricey but you get the idea, the only change in design is to have a disconnect in the power/ground if you wanted to remove it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts