Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried 2 NEW solenoids on my winch and a new switch,all wires are new and tight,and tested them with testlight to make sure power is going into (or through) the right wires etc. and the switch IS set up the same as when it was working,and it does have its 12 volts to the new switch and the old switch did too,OK anyway during this winter the solenoid when real cold and I hit the switch to raise my plow it would just click loud etc. which in my experience usually means the solenoid is on its way out,anyway I banged it (which has worked in the past on other solenoids on my other machines) and then I took the hair dryer to it and after about 10 minutes of the hairdryer on the solenoid in the cold weather it would start working,and once working it stayed working all day as I plow my house the neighbors etc. without a hitch. well I abviousley havent used the winch in a while as the plow has been off for a couple months,I went to use the winch and it would just "click " so I said "Its warm (80+degrees) so I know iT didnt need my hairdryer trick lol..
so I ordered a new solenoid,hooked it up (and yes it was hooked up right ,as to the sellers and makers settings)so when it didnt work,I thought whatever I got a junk solenoid,so emailed the comp. they sent me out another one,I hooked it up (as I said keep in mind,new wiring etc.) which worked before fine,well the next solenoid didnt work either,"just click" when testing it it would light up with switch in one direction,and wouldnt light in other direction.. so I of course went through ALL my wiring making sure it wasnt something dirty,loose etc. (all good) so Im lost as to what to try next,everything is new so Im kinda lost!
Im getting a "different type of solenoid sent this time" other than that either I got some weird junk pile of solenoids (not likley) but... any sugestions,Im ready to see if I have already tried it,or maby you can give me a new thing to try..THANKS GUYS!!:fing02:

·
Registered
421 Posts
i dunoo this is just a thought have you checked the winch directly to a battery? the winch work in one direction but not the other with it hooked up to the contractor?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like you're winch is the problem. I had a Gorilla winch that did this, so I swapped it out and used a Warn RT2500. I used all the existing wiring, contactor and thump switch. So far the Warn has done pretty well.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
I would think so!

·
Registered
421 Posts
yes you can.

·
Registered
421 Posts
all the contractor dose it switch the power and gound to the winch to change its direction or turn it off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i feel ur pain i too have many problems to say the least just had motor rebuilt by dealer and new solenoid installed but still does not work properly some time goes in some time does not everything tight i would like to try aftermarket solenoid any suggestions

·
Registered
84 Posts
Same problem with brand new 3500 popo winch. Solenoid just clicked right out of the box. Triple checked all wiring. After tapping on solenoid, starts to work again. Perhaps the manufacturing process is sloppy.

Also, saw a 'cheap' winch the other day with the battery wires right up to the switch and then down to the winch. Avoids the extra solenoid, just lots of heavy cable running up/down. Neat idea.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My winch will not lift my plow when the engine is running unless you keep pushing the switch on an of till it goes up.
If I just have the ignition key switch on and the engine isn’t running I can lift the plow up and with very little strain and it works fine.
I just don’t understand why it keeps stopping or the voltage drops when going up when the engine is running.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts