Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Sportsman 500 HO with Polaris winch.
Used mainly for plowing.
Big snow time now and wouldn't you know it when plowing today winch was working fine then stopped both in and out. Will free spool.
When I hit the In or out button I get a loud click but no spool action.
Called the dealer and he said probably frozen box where wires go into, and to let it thaw out. Checked the box under the right front inside the tire, no moisture, etc., Sounds like a solenoid clicking, but loud. All wires to box tight.
He did say that lots of in and out action on these like plowing will make them go bad. I don't have a way to get it to the dealer without renting a trailer. Anyone have any experience with this? Help sure will be appreciated.
Thanks, Lou

·
Registered
470 Posts
You may have smoked the motor, but I am guessing it's the contactor. How many clicks when you hit the button? Just one or multiple?

Quick way to diagnose is to disconnect the power cables from the winch terminals. Then, using something like jumper cables, hook them to a good battery and then touch the terminals with the cables. It will spark a bit, but just for a moment; don't worry. If the winch turns, it's not the motor and your problem is downstream. If winch does nothing, the motor is toast. I've changed one out before on a Viper Elite. It was an easy job. Not sure on the Polaris/Warn.

If the motor is fine, then check wiring and the contactor. This is a part than can fail and is easily swapped out and not that much money, generally. This is a fast way to figure out where the problem is.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Currently having the same issue myself...... Winch (Contactor) goes Clicky, clicky and no spool action. Brought it inside to thaw out, and we'll see what happens tonight!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Worked on it for quite a while today, anyway, took wires off winch motor and energized direct from a 12 volt battery--nothing either way, no in/out, appears to me to be a fried winch motor. This winch has gotten a lot of use plowing. I only got on e click when using the in/out buttons, like the controller was working but motor not. Awfully cold and snowy here, can't afford to be without, so have to take it to dealer and have a new winch installed after it thaws out. Thanks everyone for the replies.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Sorry to hear that.... hoping mine isn't the winch. If it is, I think I'll install the "Superwinch Terra 35" I've been eyeing up. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts