Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some good advice on WINCH selection for my 2013 850 Touring. I have never had a winch before and I'm finding the selection confusing and overwhelming.
My usage will be for rocky trails in Colorado.(little mud use)
I don't want to spend as much as the Polaris brand.

Questions:
1. What's the most pull without over drawing current on my machine?
2. Do mounting plates fit any brand winch?
3. What brands wire in and mount easily?
4. What brands are proven reliable?
5. Links to model specific mounts and winches would be awesome!

Hoping to find a set up that is easy to install, costs in the $200-$350 range, and has a 3500/4500lb pull range. (I have tried the search feature and gotten nowhere)

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Superwinch terra 35 is great. I had a viper before and like the superwinch better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
450 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
The higher the rating, the lower your current pull will be. I know that doesn't make sense, but trust me.

A 3,000lb winch will pull draw less current pulling 1500lbs than a 1,500lb winch. The 1,500lb winch will be at the maximum capacity of the electric motor, and will require more current to operate at that maximum capacity. The 3,000lb winch will require less current pulling the same load due to differences in motor, gearing, etc.

I'm not sure if a 4500 will fit... I'm not sure though. I can't see needing more than 3000lbs of pull. If my 3000lb winch can't pull me out in a straight pull, I'll just break out a pulley/snatch block. Each pulley/snatch block used properly (winch cable at a 90º angle or more at each pulley) will cut the load on the winch by 1/2.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
99% of the winches will fit winch mounts....KFI is the mot common one used and good quality....I have a bad lands from harbor frieght on my suzuki for close to 5 years now..its a 2500# ..i used it for plowing and pulling 6 foot logs out of the woods...thing never mised a beat..i used the piss out of it..looks like its 100 years old...

I just bought a sportsman 500HO that had a warn 2000# on it...found it to be sorta weak...strained alot..so I went to Harbor Frieght during a sale on got the bad lands 3500# for under 80.00 ..it was on sale for 99.99 and I had a 20% off coupon...they took it to my surprise... works nice...comes with every thing..its 139.99 now and you can get a 20% off coupon on the site...it comes with wiring..a mounting plate....it will mount up to a KFI mount....there is some reviews here on it...

3500 lb. Electric ATV/UTV Winch with Automatic Load-Holding Brake

review on winch http://www.polarisatvforums.com/for...bor-freight-badlands-3000lb-winch-review.html

keeps you with in your budget....

·
Registered
772 Posts
just dont get the LT2000 from superwinch. Biggest POS I think I have ever seen.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
If you go Warn shop Rocky Mountain ATV...best prices...the warn mount is a work of art. My first winch system was a Viper a few years ago and it was a POS but don't know about them now. The next was a warn and warn mount and was really impressed with the quality. Current 850 came with a 2500 lb "polaris winch" and it's been good so far but not sure who makes them.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
No one can talk me out of a WARN. The old WARN 3.0ce on my 700 has been bulletproof. My spring project is hand/throttle warmers and a new WARN winch on my 550.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I understand Warn makes the best winch's. For hand warmers get the heat demon they are awesome.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
A 3000 lb is plenty big enough, especially here in Colorado. Getting stuck in the snow is nothing like being buried in mud. You don't have the suction effect like you have with mud, and for any dry ground extraction, 3000 is plenty. Make sure you also have a tree strap and snatch block. I'm a big fan of WARN winch's, and have never needed more than my XT25 for my 850.

This is where I bought mine, and they typically seem to have the best prices. They fit in your upper price range.

Warn ATV Winch and UTV Winch - Huge Savings | 4WheelOnline.com

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies so far guys! I've spent 20+ years dedicated to sports quads. This stuff is all new to me. Bobx2, I agree that my pull needs won't be as great as the mud boggers, but I want to be hella capable. Lol I also like what JGcoastie said "The higher the rating, the lower your current pull will be".

Al53 - Thanks for the link to the Badlands thread. (I'm really considering the HF 3500#)

JGCoastie - Your how to thread is brilliant. Talk about taking it up a notch. I have almost no knowledge on electrical systems. I will likely pick your brain on making mine nice and water tight as you did. Your advice and knowledge is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I got a Badlands 3500lb winch for Christmas and I just installed it today. Used the KFI mount. I've heard lots of good things about the Badlands brand so I figured I'd give em a shot.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
A 3000 lb is plenty big enough, especially here in Colorado. Getting stuck in the snow is nothing like being buried in mud. You don't have the suction effect like you have with mud, and for any dry ground extraction, 3000 is plenty. Make sure you also have a tree strap and snatch block. I'm a big fan of WARN winch's, and have never needed more than my XT25 for my 850.

This is where I bought mine, and they typically seem to have the best prices. They fit in your upper price range.

Warn ATV Winch and UTV Winch - Huge Savings | 4WheelOnline.com
I am thinking this 3500-S is going in the 550 if it will fit.

EDIT: Nothing against cable since I haven't had issues with cable but would like to see if synthetic is better.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got a Badlands 3500lb winch for Christmas and I just installed it today. Used the KFI mount. I've heard lots of good things about the Badlands brand so I figured I'd give em a shot.
No chit... How was the install? Directions any good or figure it out yourself system? Fitment of KFI accurate to the Badlands or was there some modifying?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I changed the 4 small electrical connections to buttsplices with heat shrink. The ones from the factory were cheap looking. The KFI mount came with directions and I used those the most. The only time I used the winch directions was for the wiring diagram. I had to make a bracket for the contactor. The factory bracket was too short to fit the factory holes on the atv.

·
Registered
54 Posts
DON'T buy ProMark worst than Viper, Sent mine back twice for problem with it engaging I finally pulled it off after replacing the third battery.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have a badlands with a KFI Mount and it works great. Leave a bit of slack in the wires to the winch, makes life a but easier when changing the diff fluid.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thanks for all the replies so far guys! I've spent 20+ years dedicated to sports quads. This stuff is all new to me. Bobx2, I agree that my pull needs won't be as great as the mud boggers, but I want to be hella capable. Lol I also like what JGcoastie said "The higher the rating, the lower your current pull will be".

Al53 - Thanks for the link to the Badlands thread. (I'm really considering the HF 3500#)

JGCoastie - Your how to thread is brilliant. Talk about taking it up a notch. I have almost no knowledge on electrical systems. I will likely pick your brain on making mine nice and water tight as you did. Your advice and knowledge is greatly appreciated!
Yeah, 2500-3500lbs will be plenty for anyone on a utility quad unless you completely bury the machine in sticky gumbo on a regular basis.

Thanks for the kind words easystreet, anything you need, just give me a shout on here, I'll be happy to help.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, I pulled the trigger this a.m. and went with the Superwinch Terra 35. I called Superwinch directly cause I couldn't find a mount for it. They make their own so that solved that. They gave me part #'s and I found it all on Amazon for a pretty good price I think. Should be here end of next week. I can't wait to get this installed.
Here's a link to the winch:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Superwinch-1135220-fairlead-handlebar-handheld/dp/B003COTFS4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390615873&sr=8-2&keywords=superwinch+terra+35[/ame]

1 - 20 of 40 Posts