Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Polaris dealer wired my Superwinch Terra 35 winch so that it's always got power. Even with the red switch on the handle bar set to STOP or OFF or whatever it says. Is that bad?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
might make it easy to drain your battery. knowing how to wire a winch, i think i know how they did it and can tell you how to fix it if you want.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
900 Posts
My winch is the same way, I can use it when the key is off. Thought that was normal. You only use power when you press the button..........

·
Registered
619 Posts
It should be wired to the battery I would think, why would you do it another way?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought it should've been wired so that power is cutoff to the winch when the key is in the off position.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
257 Posts
The factory installed winches (Browning Edition) are wired whereas the ignition switch must be ON to operate the winch.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I think so long as it's fused, the battery is a better option. What if you've lost or broken the key (or otherwise disabled) the ignition switch, and you need to winch it up on to your trailer to get it home? Just sayin, there's no harm wiring direct and you may need it some day?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
It has nothing to do with the winch wired direct to the battery. The battery is wired straight to the contactor, which is wired straight to the winch...this is how every winch I have ever seen for an ATV is designed The contactor has smaller wires that run to the switch and gets the signal from the switch on which polarity to send to the winch, making it go in or out. The switch also has a small power wire that needs power to activate the contactor. The switch will not work without power to that small wire. If that small wire is wired to always have power, than the winch will work without the key. If that small wire is wired to only have power when the ignition is on, your switch will only work with the key on.

I am assuming the dealer wired that small power wire to always have power. By switching it to a source that only has power with the key on, it would stop your winch from working with no key. There is usually a wire or two under the pod that is made for the purpose of powering accessories with the key on.

You can run your winch without the machine running, just be very mindful of your battery so you don't kill it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sometimes they will drain the battery if its always has power.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
When I installed a warn winch per the instructions you were to wire it through the ignition so it only worked when the key was on. This is the safest way as a child climbing around ATV cannot activate the winch / plow system without the key.

·
Registered
274 Posts
On my 500 there were two orange wires that are keyed wires in the cluster box/headlight, I used one of them for the relay, I would rather it not work when the key is off so there is no chance of something burning it up, draining my battery or hurting anything.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts