Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Questions:
1. Does the regulator/junction block of a winch get hot enough after a load has been put on the winch to soften or melt the plastic? Not sure of part names, but I am referring to the block that has the battery positive and negative wires going to
2. Is there a better place to put it. Obviously the place listed does not exist on my ATV.
3. Will the vibration of riding rub wires bare through the insulation by having them pass through the drilled holes. I am planning on taking some RTV silicone to seal up the box and hold the wires in place.

In advance, thanks for your input. This is why I hang out with smart people. :)

Winch: Viper Elite 3500

So after reading numerous posts and such on wiring in a winch, I truly feel like I should be graduating from just a passenger on the shortbus to being the driver. I have a 2012 model Sportsman XP touring 550. I looked at the pictures and instructions for over an hour, took of the fender and numerous other pieces to fully expose the wiring and everything. I still could not find the bracket for the regulator that the instructions showed. (block that has all the wires junctioning to it). Finally I took some gasket rubber rougly a sixteenth of an inch thick and made a pad to dampen any vibrations to the block. I mounted the block inside the large quick mount storage compartment on the front of the ATV along with the box that has the rest of the wiring going to it. (the one that you put your remote to so that it can be programmed, and it has the plug in connector). The wiring was routed out of the box and looks clean. I used the cigarette lighter wire as my keyed ignition power source. All connections are hooked up and the winch works terrific. I can still lift the box up to access the battery but cannot take the box off due to the wiring and such. To do this I left about six inches of play in the main winch wires. On the upside, this is a dry place that will keep all electrical components clean and out of the mud. Bad side is it is kind of a hassel not to be able to completely take off the box without making it a large ordeal.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The relay will get hot after extended use. Its warm to the touch after a long pull, but if you do 2 or 3 back to back pulls with no rest it may get hot. I've found that taking my time when winching and letting the winch have a short break between pulls made a difference.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Also, I would wire directly to the batt. for main power so as not to melt wires that may not handle the flow(read that as heat.) I just replaced a complete wire-loom for a friend because of this.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I just installed one on my 2011 850x2. I put the block in the plastic slots under the cargo rack. I was wondering about the heat issue as well. Its a good fit and protected from the elements.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts