Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It got cold quick here in Pa and I`m already freezing out on the trails. I was wondering what you guys use to keep warm out there? I`m going to grab a set of hand warmers for my new XP. But I was wondering of other options for keeping warm on the trail. Is there some type of seat heater for these machines? How about must have clothing that really helps? I saw a product called Gator skins on Fishers Atv world are they worth checking out? I have a tall lock and ride windshield already but I need more warmth. I need to use my atv a lot this season for work and tire testing so please add whatever ideas you have. Thanks

·
Registered
422 Posts
I just wear a pair of Carhartt insulated bibs and coat. Maybe thermals as a base layer too.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Gerbing heated socks, pant and jacket liners and heated grips. anything above -10 and I'll ride.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
as for the quads accessories I recommend hand and thumb warmers and hand protectors. It is amazing how much they help. Hand warmers warm the palms but the outside tends to get cold from wind hitting them.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I installed the Pure Polaris hand and thumb warmers on my 550XP and I am thoroughly impressed with the heat output. While riding last winter, I had to switch from high to low many times as they were just too hot.

But what I really like about them is how the switches mount in the pod. Very clean looking.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I live in Texas and yes it gets cold here. I puchased and rain proof Polaris snowmobile jacket off flee bay a couple of years ago and I should have bought one years ago.

Ronnie

·
Registered
270 Posts
I installed the Pure Polaris hand and thumb warmers on my 550XP and I am thoroughly impressed with the heat output. While riding last winter, I had to switch from high to low many times as they were just too hot.

But what I really like about them is how the switches mount in the pod. Very clean looking.
X2, good heat, like the "factory" look

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
I think most everything's been covered. The tall windshield will do the hand protectors. You didn't mention you had the thumb warmer; Yes you can get a heated seat cover and the heated garments you can get work really well. Get a helmet with a heated face shield as well. Enjoy the cold. :veryhappy:

·
Registered
118 Posts
For those extreme cold riding days here in Nova Scotia I wear a "Mustang" or " Buoy o Boy" brand floater suit. Its a one piece suit that also doubles as a floatation device.. A real piece of mind thing when riding on frozen lakes. Plus the suit is Super warm.. the local offshore fishing supply shops sell right out of them every year, they are just that popular.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The suits are a bit bulky.. ( make everyone look chubbier than they are. haha) but so warm. They do kinda soften up and form fit better after a few uses. Ive had mine for 7 years now.. Still looks like new.. Just take it for a swim in the lake each summer to wash the dirt off.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hand protectors/wind deflectors are important. I ride lakes Ice Fishing and hands are generally always getting cold. Good head gear is important, cover all your flesh! It's a bit of trial and error as to what gear will keep you warm. Always pack more in your box because you never know when you'll get stuck, break down or temps change on you.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
For the quad....

1) Windshield @ height of your preference ($150'ish)
2) Heated Hand Grips and Thumb Warmer ($100'ish)

For you.....

1) Favorite Brand Insulated Coat & Bibbs
2) Favorite Brand Insulated Boots
3) Favorite Brand Insulated Gloves
4) Favorite Brand Full Face Helmet w/ heated shield

If those don't work, add......

5) Heated Vest
6) Heated Socks

I personally like Carhart Coat & Bibbs..... but any good snowmobile set would be good!! Just remember, if you want it to keep you warm.... it's going to cost some good money!!

Or, if your just using the quad for plowing the driveway.... get a vinyl cab and a good coat & bibb set!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I will chime in and second the hand warmers, thumb warmers and windshield. I use a standard open faced motocross helmet with winter goggles. I also wear a helmet liner...that covers my nose and mouth. I ride in all weather.

Last thing I have done is switch to a 30AH battery in my machine. Oddesy 925L to be exact. It really helps when the temps are at -30.

Carhartt for me too....lots of synthetic layers. i.e. polar fleece etc.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I will chime in and second the hand warmers, thumb warmers and windshield. I use a standard open faced motocross helmet with winter goggles. I also wear a helmet liner...that covers my nose and mouth. I ride in all weather.

Last thing I have done is switch to a 30AH battery in my machine. Oddesy 925L to be exact. It really helps when the temps are at -30.

Carhartt for me too....lots of synthetic layers. i.e. polar fleece etc.
X2 on the Odyssey Battery. Huge difference in starting.

·
Registered
144 Posts
If you end up going with an open face helmet, be sure your goggles are double lens. They are much more resistant to fogging/icing. There are many goggles that are advertised as being anti-fog but are still single lens, be sure to verify they are DOUBLE-LENS.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
gotta love the cold weather

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
gotta love the cold weather
It never really used to bother me but last week it was in the twenties and I was freezing. I hope I just need to get used to it again. This is my first winter on the XP. It seemed like my 08 500 threw off more engine heat to keep my butt warm tho!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
^^ Just be happy it was +!!!

Up here I was out riding last year on my 400 in -30. And I didn't even have a windshield. Just have to bundle up like crazy.

For this year I went with the tall windshield. It seems to help ALOT.

·
Registered
944 Posts
ok as a skier I can offer these tips. Never wear cotton. Cotton absorbs body moisture which then conducts heat away from the body.

Wear poly. Much much warmer. Also long under wear like hot chilis make a huge difference, even tho they are thin. Made of poly, even the cheap off brands(ebay) work very well.

If some one wants to condition themselves for the cold. simply ending your evening shower with cold water for 5 mins or more will help immensely. Turn the water down towards cold as you may. Over a short time you will be able to go to full cold water. It works.

Funny how the body works. It used to get really cold here for prolong periods. 20-30 below for lows, 5 below for the highs. After such a stint, it would warm up to zero, which then felt very warm and one could go out with just a light jacket on.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts