Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never done any winter riding (I live in Wisconsin ), and I'm thinking about doing some and just wanted to see how many do it, and any tips and experiences you would like to share would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
58 Posts
I live in Rhode Island and winter riding a is a blast! Only advice is till you know the trails, go easy. Ice can be hiding under the snow. Once your comfortable, have fun. Night riding is fun too, snow kinda lightens up the trails for you.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Looks like your machine is already set up with the heated grips and thumb. Your bighorns will do great in the snow. As long as you have good gear to stay warm, you are golden.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you get stuck, and wheels start to spin..stop! Winch out. Snow is nothing like mud( which I'm sure you know being in WI.) even if you are on groomed winter trails you will just dig down and high centre yourself. Always run in AWD too, unless you are looking to fishtail and power slide. ��

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey Buckmaster!

I'm up in Lincoln County WI.
Fer sure on the hand warmers . . . I need to see what is available for retrofitting on my old machine.

I have only done plowing (driveway and a path through our pastures), found that if you are getting stuck, downshifting and light throttle works well for getting you going again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello from Wood County WI!

I just picked up my bike so Ive been forced to ride it in the cold, I will say a windshield or handguards makes a big difference with keeping that wind off your hands. Cant wait for my Vip Air windshield fairing to come in!

·
Super Moderator
6,979 Posts
As long as you are on your 1000, high gear and full throttle are your best friend when you get into the deep stuff. When forward progress stops, back up and hit it again. If after a couple of tries you can't get through, throw in the towel and try a different route.
If you are on your 570 and hit the deep snow, turn around and go get your 1000. :laugh2:
I also highly recommend riding with at least one other quad when playing in the snow!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Dress warm.

And bring a small shovel for if/when you get high centered. It is a lot of fun. But very easy to get stuck in drifts.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Take a chainsaw with you if you drive in the woods. Snow will make branches sag and whack you and knock trees down across the trail. Better have a winch, if you break thru ice. Might check out <gripstuds.com> carbide studs that you can install and remove. I'm going to install them in my Mudzillas. Drive at a safe speed, especially if you drive where no one has broken the trail, snow can hide surprises.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for all the tips. I'm thinking about riding the Dun Good Trails around Dunbar, WI. They are groomed trails. Any suggestions on what to wear that is help you stay warm while riding?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Thanks guys for all the tips. I'm thinking about riding the Dun Good Trails around Dunbar, WI. They are groomed trails. Any suggestions on what to wear that is help you stay warm while riding?
Just dress like your going snowmobiling.
I like those heaters in my boots to keep my tows warm, long johns, couple shirts & sweatshirt, and biggest thing, some sort of balaclava to keep wind off your neck and a full face helmet. If it isn't too cold I wear my mx helmet and goggles, but our cold night rides get the full face.

If ya don't have heated grips/thumb then mittens and hand warmers in those too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
layers layers layers

Nothing you haven't heard but true. Also, stay away from cotton, once it's wet it's useless, silk, under Armour all good. I just grabbed some Snowmobile gloves n boots along with silk glove liners and toasty. Uncle Sam hooked me up with some high tech winter gear.
Getting cold up here but fun fun. Still waiting for enough snow to use my plow, we're still kids, toys just get more expensive. Have Fun!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Winter riding is my favorite. Just got back from a winter ride in Leota Mi. Dress as warm as possible you can always get cold but not vice versa. A bunch of those disposable hand warmers are nice to have too

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm in Langlade County. I only get out once a month at best in the winter. I agree with everything else above. I'm quite pleased with what my 570 will get through. I had over 12" in the yard and it went through it with no problem.

If you are on groomed trails for snow mobiles, check the rules. I believe in Langlade, its something like 10 days after it's 28 degrees or colder.. but I'd have to dig that up.

·
Registered
325 Posts
x2 on a balaclava, they are a life saver keeping the cold off you neck and blowing down your jacket, a good set of gloves and bibs and a jacket. i try to avoid a hoodie underneath since the hood seems to kinda funnel air back under your coat

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Some of the best riding is in the winter!!! Momentum is your friend LOL

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the tips

1 - 20 of 34 Posts