Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 sportsman 500 and I'm going to be winterizing it soon. I'm aware of adding fuel stabilizer to a full tank of gas and running it for 10-15 minutes. I'm also going to remove the plug and add some oil to the cylinder, does this have to be fogging oil? How much?

I'm going to remove the battery. Will this wipe out the mileage from the odometer? Does it need to be put on a battery tender or trickle charger.

It will be stored in a unheated shed.

This is the first quad I've ever owned so this is all brand new to me.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
68 Posts
why would you winterize it i only do that with my motorcycles the atv's are meant to ride all year around some of the best trail riding is in the winter months the snow smooths out the trails awesome and they run just fine unless there is 2 or 3 feet of snow once the trails are broke out you can buggy all winter...

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I treat my small engine fuel with stabilizer all the time. It keeps the crud down. Not everything gets used every day.
I run my rig all winter.
If I stored it. Stabilizer in the fuel then drive it till it's hot. Change all the fluids except the coolant. Drizzle ATF in the cylinder and then crank it by hand several revs (it'll smoke like a freight train for a minute or three in the spring). Pull the ground lead off the battery and attach a float charger to the battery and the nearest wall socket.

It won't wipe the odometer or hour meter. Only way to do that is replace the speedometer.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I don't see the need to remove the ground wire but putting a battery tender on it through the winter is a must to keep that battery alive for you in the spring. If not the cells will go bad and the battery will be junk. A battery tender Jr is $35 at AutoZone and well worth the investment.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Stabil in the fuel tank and run her for a few minutes. I never did the fog. But I did put a rubber glove and rubber band over the exhaust just to keep the mice out. I run mine all year but this is what I did on dirt bikes. Oh yea, pull the battery and bring it inside and run a tender on it.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
ride it regularly through the winter and you'll be fine. I agree with Iceblue, some of the best riding is in the winter. just got to dress a little warmer.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
ride it regularly through the winter and you'll be fine. I agree with Iceblue, some of the best riding is in the winter. just got to dress a little warmer.
I agree totally!! Awesome riding in the winter, dress warm!!

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
In all my stuff I turn the fuel off, run the carb dry or drain it with the screw, spray a little fogging oil into the fuel inlet of the carb to coat things in the bowl and keep it from sticking next time I use it. Even with stabilizer varnish still forms in the cab. Drain all the fuel and put it in the next season's machines, remove battery and bring it in the warm basement on a maintainer. 2 strokes I fog, 4 strokes I don't if just for a season. If long term I fog everything.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I run my wheelers year round.... but when I owned street cycles, I would:

1) Seafoam the gas (always had problems in the spring when I used Stabil brand, would need a carb cleaning every time - no fail).
2) Run until warm / electric fan kickes on.
3) Turn fuel supply valve off.
4) Drained carb bowl (if carb'ed or left alone on efi bikes).
5) Pull spark plug and very lightly fogging oil cylinder or add just a couple (1 or 2) squirts of freshmotor oil (from pump can), turn over a coule times and than reinstall spark plug.
6) Fluid change if not not done recently.
7) Remove battery and bring inside or hook up battery tender (float charger).
8) Put a piece of steel wool in exhaust tip/pipe.
9) Kiss it good night and Cover until spring!

Spring:
1) Charge battery (if removed to inside warm house) or replace if needed.
2) Remove steel wool from exhaust tip/pipe.
3) Fire it up and allow to warm up by idle or small in yard ride
4) Change all engine & drive train fluids / oils (again, due to condensation as spring temps flucuate and make moisture in engine).
4) Replace spark plug with new plug (after ran / burn off fogging oil).

5) Enjoy for another season!!! :D

EDIT & NOTE: I personally / generally like to keep the gas tank (if plastic) near empty before storage, so fresh fuel can be added easily at the next spring riding season. But if a metal tank, I'd keep it topped off to help prevent rusting!!!!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks a lot guys for all the suggestions. Ill be away from home all winter so i have no choice but to do it. I wish i could stay home and plow snow!!!
Seems like some fill the tank and others empty it. I think I will add the stabilizer to a full tank and drain the carb. I have a battery charger/maintainer that I will keep the batt hooked up to.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
The tank on a sportsman should be plastic/poly.... so drain or run it down to next to nothing!! I only leave metal tanks full... to prevent rusting.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right on. So if I disconnect the battery will this wipe out memory on the odometer/hr meter etc.?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Right on. So if I disconnect the battery will this wipe out memory on the odometer/hr meter etc.?
No.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1 Posts
Winterrizing

My , now old; Sportsman 500 , year 2000 H.O has never been winterized .
I use it in the forrest for hauling wood on the trailer, last year I bought a snow blade , the tractor blade is heavy and my old 2 WD Volvo BM 600 don't haul it with out snow chains , which is a pest to hang on.
Now plowing is funny, with chains on the wheels (lightweight compared to the tractor chains ) the Polaris is unstoppable .
It is easy maneurvable.
Here in Scandinavia we get lots of snow, and now I like to plow!
Why winterize an ATV, I personally don't understand, it works well in low temperatures, always starts, with a well charged battery
:veryhappy:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not to criticize anybody, But if you go out and spend all that money to buy a quad why not ride it year round? you bought bought it to ride anyway. yes riding in the spring, summer and fall is warmer but dress a little warmer maybe invest in heated handgrips and a windshield to keep the cold air off you. I find riding in the winter in very enjoyable. there is a group if use here in Pa that go riding in the winter at least once or twice a month and if there is snow on the ground sometimes every weekend. I agree with the post about trails being much smoother. Like I said this post is not to criticize anybody but just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah that's fine if you're home all winter. My job has me working away from home all winter...that's why I had to winterize...mine won't get started until May of 2014.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah that's fine if you're home all winter. My job has me working away from home all winter...that's why I had to winterize...mine won't get started until May of 2014.

I fully understand your situation to winterize your quad. I just know too many people that just buy a quad to ride in the late spring and summer then let them sit for all those months when you can enjoy it all year round.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Dont disconnect it. Put a battery tender on it and you will be fine. I have one wired directly into all my toys. When not in use, they are on the tender (in rotation).

I use this one:
Schumacher Electric SEM1562A - Hand-Held SpeedCharge Maintainer | O'Reilly Auto Parts

It has a lead that you connect to your battery that caps off when not in use. You can buy extra leads. I have a lead on each of my toys so I dont need to have a tender for each.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts