Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided I should make provisions for tail lights and brake lights when I'm pulling an old trailer down the road. So today, I spliced a trailer light harness into the X2, hooked up the trailer to verify my handy work and found problems. Without the trailer hooked up, the X2 tail/brake lights work normal. When I hook up the trailer lights, all the tail lights go bright. Pulled the rear trailer bulbs and the X2 lights work properly and I have marker lights on the trailer. Plug in a trailer bulb and all the lights go bright.

Before I get into troubleshooting this one, I thought I would ask if anyone else has tried adding a trailer light harness to their machine and had any issues. I also thought I might be adding too much current draw to the X2 system which caused the problem. Any suggestions on where to start?

Last week, in preparation, I installed Sylvania Zevo 3157R tail lights. Before starting today, I pulled one tail light and checked the ATV wiring with a volt meter while referencing the Repair Manual schematic drawing. With the engine running and brake NOT engaged, I measured 14 volts on the red (tail light) wire and about 9 volts on the Brown/White (brake light) wire. I set the brake and the brn/wht wire then went up to 14 volts as expected.

Surprised me to get 9 volts on the brake wire without the brakes engaged; does this sound normal?

Do I need to install relays or something for the trailer lighting?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update to my dilemna......
I installed a relay for the trailer wiring harness.
With the Zevo lights installed, the relay would de-energize consistently, seemed to stay energized more often than not with the brake lever released.
Reverted back to traditional 3157 bulbs and the relay works as it should. There seems to be a path through the LED modules for current to flow through and keeps the relay energized. I can't say for sure but seems to be related to Polaris using non-standard wiring in the bulb socket.

It is possible that if I had rewired the whole rear-end through a relay I could have continued to use the Zevo lights. But, I have it working now and gonna leave alone for now.

FYI, I used the diagram below. (courtesy of backcountryrebels.com) I just substituted the 4-pin trailer harness in place of the LED. Both signal light wires are attached to the brake wire.

Note that the wire colors are different on my X2 than on the diagram.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 840x525.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts