Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and just bought my first new vehicle (first new powersport ever) since the 2000 Dodge I picked it up in. About time I bought something for myself after years of kids...

Anyone have the shop manual and be willing to email me a copy of the wiring schematic? I bought both a hand warmer/thumb warmer quad zone controller and am installing a winch - both needing ignition controlled power. The hand warmer says don't use the same circuit as the winch or it will not work correctly & suggests using the headlight wire for the power.

I spoke with one of the guys at the shop and he said there is an orange wire under the headlight cover (assuming the wire powering the headlights), but what else would be powered only by the ignition key that I could grab for the winch? A schematic would be helpful now and down the road. Thanks for helping!

Can't wait to plow some Colorado powder!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Nope the orange/white wire is just an accessory power wire for what you are looking to do. The contactor power wire for my winch and the power for my back up light are ran off it. Think there are two, the ends are shrink wrapped.

·
Registered
130 Posts
X2; the (2) orange and white wires inside your headlight pod are what you are looking for your winch's control switch. They are hot when the key is on. The winch motor/solenoid itself should be fed from the terminal block, visible after removing the four screws and center plastic area under the Sportsman's black front storage cover. The terminal block has both 12 VDC and negative terminals, so be careful and use a meter to verify polarity.

I don't have any experience with heated grips; but I would guess they should be similarly wired.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, fellas. I hope to start getting into this thing this weekend and think I can get it done with what you've told me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts