Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding the topend on my 96 polaris sportsman 500 4x4, and just curious as to the importance of the arrow pointing towards the exhaust? I know this is the correct position but the piston appears to be identical on the intake and exhaust ports on this particular piston.. does anyone have direct experience with this model atv and piston? Just wandering what can or could happen if installed wrong? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
wont have any compression , there are small studs in the ring slots to hold the rings from turning. if installed backwards , rings will be in wrong position letting compression by.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This particular piston had no studs for ring position .. but they are placed where manufacturer recommended .. i am kust tdying to figure out if any damage could occur if placed in upside down.. i have found mixed results on different forums.. im just curious about this.. thanks all!

·
Registered
163 Posts
420 trap is correct. If you look under it, there are small holes drilled for oil to get into the wrist-pin area. They are placed a certain way. If you install it backwards, you may not be getting enough oil to it.

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
yes arrow goes towards the exhaust. There is small locator pins on the piston to locate the rings. this is so the ends of the rings never pass over an opening or "port". if they do the ends will snag and cause major damage to piston and cylinder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On this cylinder, there are no openings(ports) so i assume thats why theres no ring locator studs on the piston.. so since that is not the case with this setup, is the wrist pin lubrication the only downfall? Thanks all for ur input!

·
Registered
376 Posts
There confused, 2 stroke engines have port and pins in piston grooves, put the arrow to the front/exhaust and stop asking stupid questions!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts