Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 06 700 Sportsman that was not running. The owner said it was having idling issues and had replaced the fuel pump and replaced the carb. It will start with the choke out but if you put the choke in it will backfire and die. If you let it warm up, you can start it in gear and it runs great as long as you don't go to an idle. Any suggestions where to go next?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I don't know what kind of valve system these have on them if they are hydraulic or adjustable such as a shim under bucket or something of that nature but if the valves are out of alignment, usually they tighten up then it will not idle correctly.

Have you tried cleaning the carb, air filter and all that good stuff?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
434 Posts
the twince have hydraulic lifters....i'd say dirty carb or timing is off

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Dirty pilot jet or passage in the carb would be the first guess. Also make sure the air filter is clean, air box is sealed up, and check carb boys for cracks. Very common on them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The ignition system on 600/700 are junk. They have constant issues with starting, idling and low speed missing. The factory Ducati cdi/coil should be upgraded about a $450 fix.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think it is the carb because it has a brand new OEM carb on it. When it backfires it is shooting a 8 in blue flame, plenty of fuel. I think I'm going to have to break down and take it to the dealer. $$$$$$

·
Registered
192 Posts
The coil is missing its spark so it has extra fuel in the combustion chamber so the next spark explodes all of the extra fuel thus creating a back fire. I wonder what the issue could be!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I'm gonna put my money on the Ducati setup. They are JUNK

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Take some carb cleaner and spray at the carb boot that goes from carb to engine, if engine speeds up or slows down, boot is cracked, very common on the 6-700s

1 - 13 of 13 Posts