Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello im new to this forum i have lost all power to my sportsman 800twin efi, so i narrowed it down, i was prying off my relay and i touched the to prongs togeather by accident and i heard my fuel pump come, so i hold the screw driver there to touch the to prongs and everthing works fine but when i move it away goes dead can u help me ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well I guess I might as well throw mine in here too.Mine is a 425 magnum , had been setting for quit a while and was missing parts got all of those and started it up and found it had a bad cam. I changed the cam and it started right up but was running real rich and would rev up but black smoke and then would just die. Wait a few minutes and would do the same thing . I rebuilt the carb yesterday and started up black smoke again and a big back fire . sorta don't know where to go now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 02 Sportsman 700. It doesn't have any fire on spark plug. It has brand new pulse pick up unit, stator, and ignition module/coils. What else could be the problem?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Would you believe the problem with my quad was low water in the battery. We topped it up and it's been good since. And the shop didn't even check it and charged me for an oil change and filter that had less than 15 hours on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have a 2004 polaris sportsman 500 has spark with the pull start and no spark with the key.checked stator and grounds anyone have an idea what it could be ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2005 500 ho sportsman wouldn't crank today. Only the clicking. Started right up by jumping off but quits when the jumper cables are removed. Battery is 2 months old. Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone with similar experience as this: I have a 2004 Sportsman - battery died so was changed (yes new fully charged, hooked up correctly), now I have NO POWER anywhere. No lights on display, no clicking of starter, nothing. Any suggestions besides load up & carry to dealership?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a 2013 500 ho...I took the battery off last fall when I stored it for the winter. I put it back in today and turned the key....nothing!! Battery is fully charged....I'm hoping it's just dirty connection. Is there a fuse somewhere I can check?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Have an 06 500 sportsman turn key on fan comes on and nothing else works, will not even click through starter any ideas?
Coyote,
What did you ever come up with on this? I have a 2006 Sportsman 500 EFI with same issue right now. I can turn the key to the "on" position, pull start and it runs just fine but only the fan comes on when I turn the key to start mode.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My 2001 has a start/kill switch on the left handlebar. To start I push up on the switch. It's to the side to kill. I never use it to kill the motor, just turn the key off. I have accidently bumped the switch to the kill position so of course it won't start. Drove me nuts until I checked the switch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2004 sporstman 700 efi. my book says that it has a circuit breaker instead of fuses. It does say where they are or what it looks like. Can anyone tell me how to reset the circuit breaker if its been tripped? My battery was dead so I tried charging it, it arked on one of the terminals and nnow everything is dead. Thanks Brian

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got it running still have a question??

Ok so I don't have a meter so i tried jumping across the solenoid and it started right up. Every since then it has been starting with the switch. What could have been the problem? What sould I check? Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello, love the forum but have only been a reader till now as I can't figure out my issue. I have read inrbigness thread on the won't start checklist but don't have a volt meter and am still stuck. A while ago bike wouldn't start with key so pulled it. Rope stayed extended. Tapped the starter and it started. Water had gotten into recoil so pulled it off and redid recoil. Put that back on and would start with pull but not with key, just clicked. Tapping starter didn't work but after first couple times trying sounded like starter was trying to work. Tried bypassing solenoid nothing from the starter. Took off all connections from battery to starter and cleaned them well. Put them all back on and now when I turn the key nothing at all. No clicking, nothing. Am I going backwards and breaking more? What do you suppose my issue is?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
045 I would make sure the battery is strong first of all. I would think that if you tapped the starter and it turned over then the brushes are stuck or dirty. I would pull the starter off and take it apart and clean it and make sure the brushes work well. I would also inspect the bendix and make sure it works fine. If you had water in the recoil its also in the bendix and probably the starter.

You can bench test the starter by putting a ground on one of the bolt lugs and put the positive on the starter lead. It should spin like crazy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
well i was able to make a little progress. I had a friend come up and load test the battery, it's fine. We also were able to jump the solenoid and beat on the starter (it took more than a tap) which got it working initially but that didn't last long. The bendix's teeth have worn down which has also caused the flywheel teeth to wear a bit as well. I'm assuming that this is from all the water and grime, but wondering if the starter not working optimally or the solenoid not working adequately has caused unnecessary wear also. Regardless i have just order a new solenoid, bendix and starter. Hopefully this will finally cure my headache.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Sounds like you are going in the right direction. Take apart the starter when you have it out and rebuild and clean it so you have a spare. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well replaced the starter, bendix, and solenoid. Still nothing happens when I turn the key. It doesn't seem to be getting the connection from turning the key to engage the solenoid. Where do I go from here?

·
Registered
8 Posts
This may be a stupid question but does the solenoid have to be attached back to the bike to be grounded or to work. I have the wires all attached but didn't attach it back on the frame till it all worked.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts