Polaris ATV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
can you make one about the 1999-2001 diesel 455 diesel because mine atv turns over no problem but it wont start. any help would be great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Help

Hi I have a 2007 sportsman 500 deluxe Polais ATV, when I turn on the key there is no lights or any power,I wait for about 5 minutes or so the lights and dash start flickering and then stay on, I try to start it with the key and nothing pull start it and it runs shut it off and it will start with the key after all that leave it for 30 minutes and you go through it again. I have put a new starter, battery, ECM, solenoid, called Poaris Canada and they where very nice to me but told me to take it to a dealer at $90.00 an hour, already had it at the dealer for over 3 hours and this is what is still happening, can anybody help me.
Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I am new here n I'm seriously flustered. I took my 02 sportsman 90 the the shop n sunk 600 dollars in it n when my boys went riding it was raining keep in mind it was not hard riding just an easy ride in an open field, I had the top end done n thought I should run a tank of gas thru it just to break in the rings. I did that, I put it on a jack n let it idle till the gas was gone filled it again n went inside. The next day I started it n they rode about 10 min n it quit n won't start,I checked for spark n nothing. I removed the cdi box n it was cracked n smelled burnt so I replaced it, it still wont start, no spark any ideas

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have another issue with my 2001. Started doing this the other day, kinda leaping forward when put in gear. If the brake is applied it stalls. Same with reverse. I took it for a run to no avail. Any ideas as to what would cause this? New fuel pump last summer and few miles since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to this 1996 sportsman 400 cranks but no fire wire from cdi to coil shows voltage plug has no spark so the coil has to be bad right?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
the belt is binding and when you put on the brake it stalls the motor. The belt should run free between the two clutches at idle. I would think that your clutch is not fully disengaging. Take it off and clean it really well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hey everyone , new to atving , picked up a 2009 Sportsman 500 EFI about 8 months ago no issues till now. when i turn the key the motor turns over starter works fine but it wont fire up. My friend is a semi atv mechanic and he changed spark plugs and ignition coil but still same issue. battery is fully charged up , Throttle play is fine also. Dealer charges $120/an hour and they said itll take atleast 3 hours to figure out the problem. ANy help appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Add some Sea Foam to the gas. I was told the gas gets crappy after about a week. Doesn't matter in the large vehicles but makes a diff with smaller motors. This from a small motors mechanic. The crappy gas varnishes everything. Mine did the same and the carb cleaner got it running and it was taken for a good run. Now I add a small amount of gas conditioner each time a can is filled. Conditioner is added to the lawn tractor when stored for the winter (full tank). It's run for a few minutes first. Always starts on first try in spring.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm back with another gripe. Quad gave me the raspberry when I tried to start it. Put it on the charger which didn't bounce up to 8-12 but held around 2 amps. That was on the regular 10 amp charge. Set it to two amp and left it all day. Needle barely moved off 2 even when set at 10 amps for a couple of min. Stll getting raspberry. Fan was by-passed to a manual switch and it has lots of juice. Lights are bright. I so need a newer machine.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I would say that you have a compression issue. Likely the head gasket. Remember the formula: Suck, squeeze, bang, blow. Without any of these it will not fire. If you have spark and gas then I would assume it is compression.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info. So i went and borrowed a compression tester and it came back at 90psi. That was without touching the throttle. I found out after i returned it that i was supposed to have the throttle open. I've been trying to find out what acceptable compression is on a 2000 sportsman 500. thanks again

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't know how old this post is but I'm still gonna try. I have a 05 Sportsman 90 that last week I was going full throttle and let off to go around a corner. It died on me randomly and I can't get it to start. It turns over but that's it as far as I can tell by ear. It was leaking gas but that stopped a couple days ago and the tank is still full. Should I take off the carb and check that or try to see if there is spark first?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Check spark first. Maybe a wire came loose. Also empty out the carb float bowl and double check that there is gas and that it is getting to the carb. For kicks if you have spark pour a bit of gas in the spark plug hole and see if it fires over. That will help you determine if you have a fuel issue or something else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2001 magnum 500

This machine has always ran excellent, today I started it and it was making a horrible noise in the recoil, shut it off immediately. Took recoil cover off, removed the recoil, used a magnet and a rag to clean up everything inside, put cover back on and will not start, cranks over. could something be shorting out. I didnt take the flywheel off so maybe possible something could be behind there. there was a lot of metal shavings inside the cover and what looked like pieces of a spring, "assuming spring is from recoil" but not the big recoil spring. If I turned off the ignition key while cranking it backfired a couple times.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This machine has always ran excellent, today I started it and it was making a horrible noise in the recoil, shut it off immediately. Took recoil cover off, removed the recoil, used a magnet and a rag to clean up everything inside, put cover back on and will not start, cranks over. could something be shorting out. I didnt take the flywheel off so maybe possible something could be behind there. there was a lot of metal shavings inside the cover and what looked like pieces of a spring, "assuming spring is from recoil" but not the big recoil spring. If I turned off the ignition key while cranking it backfired a couple times.
I got it figured out, When the recoil self destructed it sent pieces of plastic flying around inside the housing. One of the larger pieces caught on the rotating flywheel and bent the trigger coil bracket so it was way out of gap. I straightened it, checked the gap and it fired right up.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts