Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week i go for a ride with my bike but it won't start.I only have this problem when it's very cold outside like -20c. I hear the starter solenoide but it won't turn. MY batt is ok. The relay is good the fuse too. I clean every positive connection and every ground. It still won't start. My dad have a sportman 850 touring 2011 and he have the same trouble! I read somewhere it's the grease in the starter. My last option is a starter problem.

Anybody have the same trouble on is bike ?
thanks.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
is your battery on a maintainer....keeping it charged during the cold....cold eats a battery right up...the battery most likely needs a charge from that cold....then get a battery maintainer an keep it hooked up..will never have this problem...

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
x2 on the battery tender. If its a little weak from the cold it will be weak enough to not have you start.

Don't know about grease in the starter. I've only had one apart and there wasn't any grease.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i tried to boost my scrambler with A power pack. but the result it's still the same... won't start . i really think it's the starter because when it won't start i warm up some water and i pour it on the starter. when i do that i'm able to start it's like if the starter is frozen

·
Registered
295 Posts
There may be moisture in the starter depending on the type of riding you do this would cause it to freeze up happened to me after I swamped my bike starter got water in it cause they were not sealed properly

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Had to take a hair dryer to my starter the other day to get it to start. been thinking about spraying wd40 in the vent tube to help it from freezing but wonder if it will hurt it.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Don't spray WD40 into your starter.........electrical components do not like liquids. Over time, WD40 dries to a sticky varnish like residue.

OP,
Electrical components' resistance skyrocket in the extreme cold. Get a battery tender, just because you put a boost pack on it, that does not always start them. If the battery was drained sufficiently, it take SA few minutes to charge the battery to allow the machine to start. Unless your starter has water intrusion, it's all about the battery.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Don't spray WD40 into your starter.........electrical components do not like liquids. Over time, WD40 dries to a sticky varnish like residue.

OP,
Electrical components' resistance skyrocket in the extreme cold. Get a battery tender, just because you put a boost pack on it, that does not always start them. If the battery was drained sufficiently, it take SA few minutes to charge the battery to allow the machine to start. Unless your starter has water intrusion, it's all about the battery.
I really think there is water getting into the starter. after riding dry conditions the other day, my machine started at 14 below. after riding in the snow it never wants to start on a cold day.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
i tried to boost my scrambler with A power pack. but the result it's still the same... won't start . i really think it's the starter because when it won't start i warm up some water and i pour it on the starter. when i do that i'm able to start it's like if the starter is frozen
Based on this new info not in your original post, I agree. Sounds like you have water in the starter and it is frozen. Been more than a few posts about that around here.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,350 Posts

OP,
I really think there is water getting into the starter. after riding dry conditions the other day, my machine started at 14 below. after riding in the snow it never wants to start on a cold day.

Sounds possible..........do you have a heat gun available? Any way to get it into a heated garage or basement?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Starter problem

I am having the exact same problem. My scrambler has never been in water and only 5hrs of snow riding. I have to take a hair dryer to the starter for a minute then it fires off. I do always plug my machines into a tender in the winter regardless of the temp. I think there is possiblilty for internal condensation into the starter from the motor. The starter on the 850 is the only one that is sealed really well externally. Mine is a 2014 with 16hrs. on it.

·
Registered
944 Posts

This is from LENick over at Polaris Pro Riders. Nick's very knowledgeable and would no doubt offer any further things he learned to resolve this issue if you guys asked him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts