Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. When I bought the Scrambler 90, the battery was dead and only started using the kick start. I got a mail from Autozone that my $20 credit is expiring in 2 days...so I figured I'd use it towards a new battery.

So I got the battery. Did the initial charge. Installed it on the 90 and immediately the light near the handlebars lit up and the brake lights lit up. So I'm thinking good deal.

I turn on the fuel and start her up and to my surprise, she fired right up...but only ran for about 3-4 seconds then shut off. Now thinking back, last time we rode her, she ran low on fuel and I had to put it on reserve. So I did and tried starting her and she won't start. She turns over but won't start.

So I removed the negative on the battery and used the kick start and fired right up on the first try. I let her warm up a bit and shut her off. I put the negative battery back and tried to start her up using the button and same thing...turns over but doesn't start. Removed the negative on the battery again, used kick start and she fires up first kick. Went ahead and shut off the fuel and waited for her to die so I can ponder on what's going on.

And here I am asking you folks what you think is going on with her. Let me know if you have any ideas on what I might try to get her going using the electric start.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Try to kick start it with the battery hooked up.
Something could be wrong with a safety switch.
Are you squeezing the right brake lever while pressing the start button?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try to kick start it with the battery hooked up.
Something could be wrong with a safety switch.
Are you squeezing the right brake lever while pressing the start button?
I did try to kick start with battery hooked up and it would start.

Not sure where the safety switches are but will do some research and see if I can figure it out.

I wasn't sure if I squeezed the right brake lever but tried it and it wouldn't even try to start. I did squeeze the left brake lever and that's where it tries to start but just cranks and cranks and doesn't start.

Basically the bike will only start using the kick start WITHOUT the battery hooked up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, was messing around with the quad with a friend and found an interesting thing.

Removed the negative to the battery and kicked started the quad. I let it idle for a while. Then I touched the negative to the battery and the quad dies.

What would cause this to happen? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Sounds like your battery has got a bad cell or the voltage regulator is feeding back and killing the ignition

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like your battery has got a bad cell or the voltage regulator is feeding back and killing the ignition
I'm going to rule out bad battery cell being that it's a brand new battery.

So does that mean the voltage regulator needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Does the kill switch work? will it kill it while running? how about the tether that goes on the hand, if its pulled will it die? Something is grounded out and when you ground the battery , your completing the circuit, gonna have to trace, wires, see if something is bare, unplug switches one at a time to see whats wrong, Make sense? Al brown wires are grounds, start by taking a close look at them, should be a bunch that run to a common ground, check there.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm going to rule out bad battery cell being that it's a brand new battery.

So does that mean the voltage regulator needs to be replaced?
Just because a battery or any other part is "NEW" doesn't mean it can't be defective right out of the box. I've seen that happen too many times.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does the kill switch work? will it kill it while running? how about the tether that goes on the hand, if its pulled will it die? Something is grounded out and when you ground the battery , your completing the circuit, gonna have to trace, wires, see if something is bare, unplug switches one at a time to see whats wrong, Make sense? Al brown wires are grounds, start by taking a close look at them, should be a bunch that run to a common ground, check there.
Kill switch and tether thing works as intended...kills engine when turned off or pulled out. Will check all wires and see if I see anything weird...not that I know exactly what it should look like but if I see anything weird I'll take pics and see what you guys think. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
hey I have a trail boss it has fuel and spark but won't start
Welcome to the forums. Its best to post a new thread than to hijack someone elses. When you post put down as many details as possible so that we can best help you. What are the symptoms, what have you tested, what changes have been made, when was it running last properly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all. When I bought the Scrambler 90, the battery was dead and only started using the kick start. I got a mail from Autozone that my $20 credit is expiring in 2 days...so I figured I'd use it towards a new battery.

So I got the battery. Did the initial charge. Installed it on the 90 and immediately the light near the handlebars lit up and the brake lights lit up. So I'm thinking good deal.

I turn on the fuel and start her up and to my surprise, she fired right up...but only ran for about 3-4 seconds then shut off. Now thinking back, last time we rode her, she ran low on fuel and I had to put it on reserve. So I did and tried starting her and she won't start. She turns over but won't start.

So I removed the negative on the battery and used the kick start and fired right up on the first try. I let her warm up a bit and shut her off. I put the negative battery back and tried to start her up using the button and same thing...turns over but doesn't start. Removed the negative on the battery again, used kick start and she fires up first kick. Went ahead and shut off the fuel and waited for her to die so I can ponder on what's going on.

And here I am asking you folks what you think is going on with her. Let me know if you have any ideas on what I might try to get her going using the electric start.

Thanks!
If you look on top of the throttle box you will see I think three cables going in it. One of them is the safety switch to the hand brake. It is more than likely pulled out. If you push it all the way back in it should fix the prob. Had the same prob out of my daughters 50 scrambler.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts