Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sportsman 500 won't start when I turn the key it clicks once i have lights so my battery's not dead please help

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Clicks once when starting

My sportsman won't start when I turn the key I clicks once I have lights so my battery is good please help

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Sounds like a battery. Get it tested at an auto parts store.

Sean

·
9,470 Posts
If you have a fully charged battery...turn on the key and use a screw driver to cross out the solenoid terminals. If it cranks, you found the problem. If not, check all connections and especially the ground.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Good suggestions so far. Charge the battery at the lowest amp setting you can, and than have it load tested. If it passes, jump the solenoid with the key in the on position. If it tries to start, replace the solenoid.

Just so you know, headlights use volts. The starter uses amps. It's possible your battery still has 12 V to run the headlights, but zero or low amps for the starter. Two different things. Whether the headlights work or not is not a good indication of the batteries condition. Need a load test to really know what shape it is in.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
It may run the lights but not have enough volts to turn the starter.... charge it and see if it helps, or have it tested. Sounds like it may be time for a new battery..... :dunno:

·
Registered
96 Posts
starter brushes might be worn or stuck when hitting the start button with key on tap starter with a hammer if it turns over slowly brushes are worn starter should be able to be removed from the top of the machine

·
Registered
1,360 Posts

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Dosent the 500 have a rope start?

Can you get it run it that way? At least we can rule out engine problems...

I agree, i would pull that starter and run it on the bench to check propped function.

Good luck and let us know what's happening or what you find.

CW

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tore it apart last night my uncle seems to think it's the solenoid or the battery he is a mechanic he said if something was wrong with the starter it would make a grinding noise

·
Registered
392 Posts
Did you ever find out what it was? I'm having the same problem with my 2011 850 X2.

I know my battery was near dead and it is the original battery but I thought for sure I would be able to jump start it. After hooking up the jumper cables and letting it charge for 10 min or more near 2k RPM it still wouldn't turn over. The lights were bright but when I turned the key it just clicked almost like the starter was stuck. I had the starter replaced last fall and it started just fine and was running as recently as June. It's been in storage since the beginning June with no charger attached to it. I plan on replacing the battery and I'll let you know if it fixes mine.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Well after changing replacing the old worn and almost dead stock battery with a new Odyssey battery my X2 roared back to life. I guess the old battery must've been so dead that it wouldn't even allow a jump start.

The new odyssey battery was almost twice the size as the original. At first I didn't think it would fit. I had to remove the spacer the stock battery rested on and the larger odyssey battery fit in like a glove.

Only problem I had was I should've got the battery with the pos and negative terminals reversed. They made it and I didn't realize I needed it. I had to cut some zip ties to get the wires to stretch to the new pos and negative terminal locations but it worked like a champ!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts