Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2011 Sportsman 850. After my unit sat in garage for about a month I was going to roll it out to replace a few wheel lugs. It was locked up as if fully engaged in 4 wheel drive. I went to start it and noting just a click noise from the started solenoid. I assumed it was a battery because we had built a front speaker box for it. New battery and same click. I decided to pull the starter and have it rebuilt. There is a company here in Houston that has been in the business 35 plus years. Starter rebuilt and still just a click. I am able to turn the rt rear wheel and it is turning the shaft. I'm sure its engaged and won't start because of that and just don't know what to fix. It had ran good on the last ride out. It was washed up then I drove into the garage. I have taken the belt off and everything is ok. With the belt off it still just clicked. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

DSCF5480.jpg

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Check your oil. Wondering if it is full of gas (hydro-locked) or if it is an electrical problem.

You can also see if you can put 12 volts directly to the starter and see if it turns over. If it does, you know it is an electrical problem.

Sean

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
YES all the fluids are clean and full. That was the first thing I checked. I tried the brake automatically. I have not tried the direct contact on starter. But why would the wheels all be locked up, as if it's in gear when I put it in nutural ? Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I grabbed my charger and jumped it from the starter and it cranked right up. Good starter, new battery and no loose wires. Everything is tight. Any others out there that has gone thru this??? Thanks for any help!!!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
My battery has gone dead in my 12 850 a couple times when I let it sit for about a month. Something must drain on it, but I haven't spent the time to figure out what it is.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Good battery. Good starter. Wires good. Wires tight. Won't jump from the battery. Will jump from the starter. Still get a solenoid click. Solenoid would be my guess.

You should be able to turn the key to run and jump the solenoid to double check the rest is good.

Then put a meter on the small wire at the solenoid and check for 12 volts with the key to start.

Make sure the solenoid is well grounded.

If all that checks good I would order a solenoid.

Sean

·
Registered
392 Posts
I don't have a problem with mine being locked up but I did have a problem with it not starting. Mine was sitting for a couple of months and when I went to start it the battery was dead. I connected jumper cables and it still would not start. The lights were very bright but it was as if the starter was locked up. I ended up putting a new odyssey battery in it cranked right up.

If you are able to jump it right at the starter then it sounds like your solenoid may bet the problem. A bad solenoid would make a clicking sound like you are describing without it starting.

As far as ATV not disengaging, I would rock it back and forth while cycling through the different positions on the shifter as well as cycle through the different positions of the 4WD switch just in case it is locked up.

Hope this helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts