Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a question i have a 99 magnum 500 no power,lights,gauges,no 4x4 wont turn over with the start button but will start when you jump the solenoid runs fine even the EBS system works but all other things don't any idea what it could be hoping to ride soon thanks for looking :werd:

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Start at battery , clean cables , tighten , then go to solenoid, remove cables , make sure nuts under cables are clean and tight, then start following wires, youll find a black pouch, this is a circuit breaker, open pouch, is breaker corroded?. There is another at the front of machine , may have to remove plastics to follow wires, take wiring out of harness, look for breaks, around steering stem is common trouble spot,

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Russ C,
Yes i have done that and more changed the solenoid thinking it was it i checked the breaker with a test light and getting current from both sides of post their is 2 of them around the solenoid is their some at the front of atv too because i can't find that one so im assuming that it the 2 by solenoid i can start the atv by jumping the the solenoid but wont start by switch or no lights or gauges put when i turn off the atv by the key switch it shuts off so i'm sure its okay anymore ideas Thanks..

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Im betting broken wire around steering stem, have to cut wire ties and get wiring out of harness to find them, the red and red -white are the main power wires, unplug wires off of ign switch, take a paper clip and go across from red wire to red-white, if it starts, wiring is good, bad switch, if it doesn't start, baD WIRING, I know it sucks to take the plastic off but that's how youll find it, been there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Russ, so i can unplug the switch and jump wiring to see if it starts i will have to try that tomorrow

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hey Russ, i have a question for you first off i got my atv running needed new headlight start switch my question in it starts good but when it runs for a while the temp light comes on but not the fan also i installed a new universal solenoid that a friend said is better then Polaris just wondering if that could be the problem also i hooked up a Multimeter and when i hooked it up i get 12.4v then when it runs the reading is 14.6 but when i shut off then start again its dead but boost it starts right up can you give me some of your great wisdom Thanks..P.S here are pictures of the things i changed

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your help got it fixed first replaced my headlight switch solenoid and battery everything is working now :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts