Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well fella's, I'm stumped. As I've mentioned on here before I've acquired a 1990 Trail Boss 350L. I did a full top end rebuild among other things and got it running. It's been running just fine.

It had been sitting in the garage for about 2 weeks when I noticed a puddle of fuel underneath. Long story short, the petcock was turned off, but failing which allowed fuel to free flow into the carb which began to fill the air filter box and drain out of the air filter box drain hole. Once I figured that out, I pinched off the fuel line until I could get a replacement petcock. I replaced the petcock today and put everything back together I decided to start it up since it had been sitting for a couple weeks. It would not start. I began getting a lot of fuel/oil mix leaking out of the exhaust ball-type connections. Is it possible that all that fuel that was leaking past the petcock and into the carb/engine caused my rings to go bad or crank case seals, etc to be blown when I tried to start it? I pulled and cleaned the spark plug, tested for fuel and spark which were good. I had not tested compression yet though. I haven't put 20 hours on it yet since the top end rebuild. Also, I can't get the oil pump out to replace it as the dang screws are stripped out, so I was just pre-mixing the fuel/oil until I can figure a way to get those screws out to replace the oil pump (it is definitely not working). if I mixed the oil/fuel too strongly could that have contributed to my issue as well?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Are they screws or bolts?

·
Registered
125 Posts
U could use an easy out and if that won't work u might have to drill them out

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are they screws or bolts?
They are screws. I was able to get one out, but the second one (which is the harder to get to because it is so far countersunk into the protective housing of the pump) is stuck. I couldn't even figure a way to get my easy out on it. It was hard enough to even get a screw stick on it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh man, I remember the infomercials for that stuff years ago. I never actually knew anyone who ever bought any. Might be worth a shot. I just ordered a couple bottles....why not.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You might be able to find it at a hardware store or AutoZone the stuff we use the navy we called it grip tight or tite looked like it was in an elmers glue bottle but the stuff really worked

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Just continue to pre mix. It doesn't hurt anything to run one without the oil pump working. I ran a Sport 400 for a long time without an oil pump.

Ronnie

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
The needle and seat in the carb is bad, that's what let the fuel drip, unplug the drain hose, your bottom end is full of gas and oil, need to drain it out.. One thing to think about, if it backfires wrong , your sitting on a bomb..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it sorted today thanks to the assistance of an Old Polaris expert. So, with the fuel valve (petcock) being bad and allowing fuel to flow into the carb and engine I had to drain the block of all the excess fuel/oil mix after replacing the petcock. Found the drain right next to the starter (after some searching), pulled the 10mm drain bolt and about 4 oz's of fuel/oil mix came out. With the spark plug removed I pulled the hand crank about 5-6 times to get any remaining pooled up fuel out via that drain. Re-installed the drain, and spark plug and it fired right up. Road for about 2 hours with no issues. Come to think of it....of all my years of owning and working on 2 strokes, I guess I never had a fuel valve go bad and have this happen. Who says an old dog like me can't learn something new.....lol

As for the oil pump, it's just one of those things I'll get to eventually. I have no issues just pre-mixing for now.

Thanks guys for the advice once again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts