Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to install a 72w light bar on the front bumper of my 08 PS 500 Touring and I want to use a Polaris oem 4011074 worklight on/off switch to power the light. My question is what is the amp rating on this switch? I can't find the amp rating anywhere,but I'm assuming it's going to be a max of 15 amps. Just wanted to know for my piece of mind before I do a install.

Tony

Attachments

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A 72 watt light bar draws 7 amps on a 12 volt system (6 amps at 14 volts) - that switch should be adequate if it is a 15 amp switch.
I agree, question is, is it a 15 amp or possibly a 20 amp? I would bet a 15 amp switch since it is for the oem rear work lights on certain year model Polaris Sportsman ATV. Funny they do not provide that information in the specs that I've found yet.

Tony

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
I went to Allied electronics and shopped their assortment of 12 VDC rocker switches - lowest amp rating they listed was 10 amps

Is there any markings on the switch at all? If not, only the Polaris engineer that spec'd the switch knows what it is rated for.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought one of those oem work light switches a couple months ago to install and hook up the already installed factory work light harness on my 08 PS 500 Touring. Ha! when it was new the actual work light switch and bulbs was the option, go figure. :grin I knew this switch was specifically for the Polaris work light's so there was no need to check on amperage rating for that install. It's already been installed. I may call Polaris and rack their brain tomorrow with the amperage rating. :devil

Tony

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts