Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi
i was wondering if my schoks in the front are worn ore the springs will cause the negative camber
i dont know the camber for the touring, but its to negative i think :ponder:

and if i push in the schoks when they are out they stay in ,they won't expand on there own,is this normal?:ponder:

it drives very nervous at high speed:werd:

thanks for your advice

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
What year is your 800? It might be a good idea to replace them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2007 7000 kilometers

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
If the shocks don't open back up when pushed in they are shot. That will cause them to bind up and stay in one spot and give you the lean in one corner. Weak springs will sag the too, but not as bad as a bad shock will typically.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the shocks must expand when pushed in? they don't,they stay in
the previeus owner was a wheely guy:cowboy: never went offroad

·
Registered
378 Posts

This is the difference between gas and hydraulic.

If the previous owner bought aftermarket struts, they may have been Hydraulic....I don't know what the stock sportsman's have been trying to figure that out. Hopefully someone really knows.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Shocks have nothing to do with ride height. Unless of course we are talking air shocks.

True but I don't think the discussion is of ride height. It is how the machine handles. If the shocks/struts are warn out they will cause sag. And the most noticeable will be the ride. Will tend to roll in cornering and wont handle for crap.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Shocks have nothing to do with ride height. Unless of course we are talking air shocks.

True but I don't think the discussion is of ride height. It is how the machine handles. If the shocks/struts are warn out they will cause sag. And the most noticeable will be the ride. Will tend to roll in cornering and wont handle for crap.
I edited my response and I think he need both. I should have been more specific in my reply to the original post. Usually, the negative camber is caused by a sagging front end due to weak springs that is why I mentioned the ride height. The lousy handling could also be because of weak front springs or low air pressure in the tires. Since the shocks don't extend back out when compressed I think those need to be replaced too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whaaa great info guys thanks:veryhappy:
If I read al the replay’s and watch the youtube video I think my trouble is a sagging front ,that’s wy my camber is to negative
I have seen some standard shocks (hydrolic ?) on ebay and they are in ,and stay in ,at least on the picture :)

Just to figure this thing out I have made 2 bushings to extend the springs (1 inch),,no weather to drive it yet:cowboy:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yyeaeaeah drives like a charme:) it drives nice and easy
the extra bushing defenitly help to keep it in line .

conclusion! i need new springs

thanks for the advice guys, great

·
Registered
322 Posts
Something else to check that will make them very darty are the front a-arm bushings and the ball joints...

·
Registered
38 Posts
the polaris front struts have zero compression dampening, its all in the rebound. I thought mine were toast to, on my 01. if you push them in there is next to zero resistance no matter how fast you do it. But pull them out and you can feel it. I just verified this on my new quad with zero miles on it as i was putting spring spacers in it because the front end is saggy. Oh ya when pushed in they stay in. My last bike i had HD springs and 1-1/2" spacers. and it handled night and day better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
update:
still not happy:pedro:

i drove it on a vacation in the mountains ,it was a little better than before
my doughter is looking for a polaris so i test drive another 800 (non touring),
now i have someting to compare with
i need new front springs for sure and HD, should be better if i am reading the postings

i found these on Ebay they are resambly priced and the shipping cost are resambly
Polaris Heavy Duty Front Suspension Springs Sportsman 450 500 700 800 550 850 | eBay

is this what i need for my polaris 800 touring 2007 ??
thanks

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Those are what I have & made a world of difference. Really improved the handling & got rid of the front sagging.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Have an 05 500 that had lots of negative camber. Replaced the front springs and the wheels straightened right up looking like a new quad. My shocks did rebound when compressed but did not replace them since I didn't have new ones. Rides so much better now, doesn't dive into corners.

BRR

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
thanks people

i am lost again
the seller is asking my if i have a XP model,it won't fitt
whats an XP ,850? ranger? razor? i dont know to be honest

thanks for helping me out

·
Registered
495 Posts
The XPs are newer models and you would know it if you had one I think. Part of the difference, I believe, is the XPs have upper and lower ball joints, with the top of the piston shaft having a horizontal through bolt. The older 800s, use the top of the shock/shock bushing as the top locator and pivot point, have a straight thread on the end of the piston shaft, and only have lower ball joints.

XP spring part #7043708-067

07 800 non XP #7042301-067

Probably different lengths would be my guess.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:hail: thank you my friend :hail:
i love this forum

am giong to order them

and my doughter bought the 2006 800 sportsman ,now 2 polaris sportmans in the family:lmao::fest06:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts