Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 500 sportsman. I ride a lot with shorts when the weather calls for it. It gets pretty hot from the knee down on the right leg.
I was thinking about wrapping a section of the pipe. Anybody else think to do that? Would I be wasting my time? Seems logical right.
Thoughts before I tear into it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Pipe wrap can lead to premature failure/rusting of the pipe. If you want to spend a little money, ceramic coating would be a better option.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree that wrapping it is probably not the best idea. I sent a set of headers to Swain Tech Coatings a few years back. The finished product was fantastic. Very durable (had to use a grinder to find bear metal) and it holds the heat in the exhaust rather than releasing it to the surroundings. I was trying to keep engine bay temps down on a car, but the logic is essentially the same. It was a little pricey though.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
You could also consider fabricating a heat shield out of some galvanized sheet metal. Just a 1/4 inch between the pipe and the shield can make a big difference. A half inch is even better. when the bike is moving it will direct the heat back along the pipe instead of out the side and up you leg.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts