Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2007 Sportsman 500 and when I first turn the key on a wrench is flashing. I am guessing this is a notification that it needs its routine service done. Does anyone know a way to turn this off. I am going to be servicing this beast on my own and i do not want a this to be bothering me every time I turn my key on. I am new to Polaris' so this may be a widely known simple fix, any help?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
yes, all it is is a dummy service reminder that flashes when the revers hour meter gets to 0 hours

resetting....it is something like this. im doing this off memory so bear with me.

1) turn the key to the on position (motor not running)
2) put machine into neutral
3) turn key off and wait a min of 10 seconds
4) press and hold the yellow override button
5) turn key to on position (motor not running)

at this point it should go straight into diagnostic mode...
you can let go of the yellow override button at this point, use it to scroll through the menus. each press will advance it to the next menu. keep pressing the yellow override button until the wrench comes back up. when it does, press the override button again but hold it in. it should go from a 0 to OFF. if you want to leave the wrench off for good, you can then turn the key off and you will be good to go. if you do want to reset it, press and hold the override button and it will begin to count up, it will go all they way to 100 hours

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome!!
I will try this tomorrow since my bike is at my shop. I will let you know how it goes.
Is there anything I should know or are there any quarks these machines have that you know of? It seems to run great but who knows I havent really had it out to test it much.
Thanks again!!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
common stuff/common complaints....

sometimes the starter will stay engaged a second or two too long and wind up, make a grinding noise, but for whatever reason a second or two is "normal" and doesnt seem to damage it.

sometimes you will get a "clunk" when you shift in and out of gears. just the way the tranny and clutches are....

do not throw it into 4x4 with the switch if you are spinning your back wheels in 2wd. let the wheels come to a complete stop otherwise you can damage the rollers, but it is okay to switch between 2wd and 4x4 on the fly, just make sure the rear wheels have traction.

bottom of the fuel tank is heavier then the top...i.e. you will go through the first 3 bars faster then the bottom 3 bars. but thats more to make you think you need to head back to get more fuel before you actually run out.

and finally do not hold the machine facing uphill by using the throttle so that it doesnt roll forward or back...that is the fastest way to hourglass the belt. it is typical to see over 1,000 miles on the belt, but i have also seen people destroy them in less then 5 miles

thats about all that comes to mind....have fun!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
no problem! dont feel like you have to baby that thing. 07-09 sportsman are a pretty solid year, polaris worked out all the kinks of the 05-06's.

let me know if i remembered the wrench thing right. if its not that it is very very close to that.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My wrench started flashing today while riding. Only stays on I guess until the machine moves. My riding bud said it might be the alert to service it. I have 50 hrs now. I changed the oil back around 30 hrs. So, I guess all I need to do is what Blueline described. 2011 400HO

·
Registered
173 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
i was looking around on your website, and saw you have the Polaris PS-4 motor oil listed for both my 700EFI and an 850XP. I was under the impression that they took two different oils? 0w40 in my 700 and a 2w50 in the 850? Is there a difference between the two, or can i run 0w40 in both?

·
Registered
173 Posts
We get our oil spec's right off the polaris dealer website, and they tell us to run 2876244 Polaris PS-4 Plus oil in the XP's. It's possible you were told to run a different oil in a cooler or hotter temp, but for normal operating conditions you need to run the 0w50 PS-4 Plus oil. ~Phil

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
bottom of the fuel tank is heavier then the top...i.e. you will go through the first 3 bars faster then the bottom 3 bars.
I always wondered about this and thought it was just me! I get 20 miles out of the first "half" and 40 out of the second "half."

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
bottom of the fuel tank is heavier then the top...i.e. you will go through the first 3 bars faster then the bottom 3 bars.
I always wondered about this and thought it was just me! I get 20 miles out of the first "half" and 40 out of the second "half."
LOL me too!!! Haha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts