Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:fragez:Ok here we go, I have a 04 500 HO sportsman I took in in the shop to have all 4 struts replaced and tune up oils etc. $1800.00 now they told me the mechanic instaled the left frt shaft wrong when he changed the strut and destroyed it, so they gave me a new one free. Ok now the bike runs fine exept for a noise in the left frt when in 4wd it only does it on severe hills with deep holes like when the wheel is all the way down, it sounds like the gear in the shaft is comming out and skipping one tooth it only does it once each time. I took the wheel off and checked the hub it looks fine nice and tight. My question is could the dealer have put the wrong shaft in (to short) and it is pulling out of the diff on thoes extreme down wheel situations ? Dealer has told me that could not happen that the shaft is the right one. It is strange cause it sounds like it only skips one tooth ? Seems to me if the shaft was comming out it would not just skip one tooth and would not go back in that easy, off the ground jacked up it seems fine but there is no resistance on it, could it be the spring ? shock ? It is not possible to look at wheel on the trail hell I have to hold on LOL. I have not taken the shaft out of the diff as it seems like a lot of work is it possible that it could be pulling out ? Any help would be greatly appricated !!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
take it back n have them fix it right .......

·
Registered
563 Posts
I think I would take it back too,if it didnt make the noise before they worked on it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
i agree. if they screwed that easy repair up who knows what else they did. bring it back.

·
Registered
421 Posts
i also dont see why he had to take the drive shafts out to replace the struts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I took it back and they told me it was fine !! Unless you are on a extreme hill climb it won't do it and of course they won't let me climb cars in the parking lot ! It has been a while now about 6 mths so I figure they will tell me warrentee is up. I really do not trust my dealer anyway !! The only reason they had it in the 1st place was I was just to busy to work on it, and I wanted it reconditioned for my son to ride. I guess I will keep useing it till something breaks and stays broke and fix it myself ! I just wanted to know if it is possible for the shaft to pull all the way out ? As I have not taken it apart myself.
Thanks for the replies !!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts