Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to check air filter on my 2012 Sportsman 850 XP EPS. I pulled out the seat and was astounded to find that rear corner underneath the seat, the plastic has melted thru the body and melted underneath corner of the seat. Is this for real? What should I do to fix this, ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381698012.959427.jpg

And

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381698030.292261.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Why not install an aluminum panel with Kaowool Cerablanket toward the plastics and reflective exhaust shield toward the pipe?

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I would wrap the exhaust with titanium wrap and put some reflective aluminum tape on the underside of the plastic...

·
Registered
94 Posts
squrity0...i just had the same problem on my 2012 850 HO, not as bad but it does suck. told my polaris dealer about the issue and said get 2014 heat shield that goes in that same spot, its under $30, and the lates computer re-flash update, i wish polaris would do shit right the first time instead of using us the consumers as gunny pigs .

·
Registered
944 Posts
Makes me wonder if it isn't running a tad lean.

Definitely get the latest computer update.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Computer re flash? How much would that cost?

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Some shipped with no heat reflective material under the fender and thats what happens, warranty should give you a new seat and fender.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dang... That's the problem. I don't have warranty on it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
update re flash is around $25-$30 depending on dealer, and some dealer arnt good with modern day computer stuff they might just blow you off and say theirs no up dates.

i would buy the heat shield before it get worse.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have the exact same thing happen but the seat didn't melt. Just hole fender. i noticed that the two piece heat sheild had seperated a bit. my solution was to use the metal sleeve from a rubber pipe fitting. it is a slipover inline rubber splice that has a metal wrap around sleeve and two hose clamps. I also used a special muffler tap that hardens with heat.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I read somewhere here, too high fuel pressure will cause a lean run condition. And an exhaust that gets too hot. I think the fix was replacing the fuel pressure regulator in the tank. How he checked it was, when it is first started the pressure was normal. But after 15 mins it would start climbing. So he had too check it multiple times too correctly diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One thing I left out about this is I got burnt right in the middle in the back of my right leg calf area all the heat was located at.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Update: The dealership re flashed the computer and replaced the spark plug at no charge. I took it out on trail ride for several hours and there weren't any heat issue on this. Looks like that fixed the heat issue. Since I didn't have any warranty on this, I guess I will have to figure out on how to fix that burnt hole on plastic under fender and seat area. Other than that all is well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
944 Posts
Squirty, could you bend some flashing to fit the hole then use silicone caulk and pop rivets ?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I may do something like that. Then maybe put heat wrap there just for "in case" it gets hot again which it shouldn't.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Go to a junk yard and get some pieces of bumper covers, trim to cover the hole. I would not want flashing, it will collect and retain heat.

·
Registered
548 Posts
^^^ Now that would piss me off. I hope you weren't burned by it. Did they replace your quad purplewg?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts