Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
I have a new 2012 X2 550. Sweet machine.
It seems there are few storage accessories available for it.
With the factory hard storage up front, there doesn't appear to be much soft luggage for the top of it.
Do I have to drill holes to mount soft luggage up front?
I have ordered the dual cargo bags (fairly small) for the rear, but other than that not much for two up riding.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have the same complaint of teh X2 do the lack of storage and have bought the 2 small rear bags for storage. I saw a carrier item made by little mule out of Utah and bought one. It went together good and allowed you to store items high, a fuel pack and didn't get in the way. It was put together poorly, welds broke, and the rear seat hit it. I had set back 2 inches, reinforced, reweleded and now it works perfect.

Ron

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
The X2 is not that popular in my area. If you guys want to take some pictures of the bed area with a tape measure showing the lengths I can see what we can come up with here at the store.

·
Registered
180 Posts
A lot will work with the X2. In fact, there are more options for the X2 than any other. I recommend a set of front fender bags to start with. It will hold a handgun a full days lunch and all the other stuff you need to get at quickly. I also rigged up 2 cup holders on the bottom of both passenger handles and a GPS on the handle bars. When I need to take a lot of stuff on the trail, I am running the Polaris rear dual bags that work in the two up position. They strap on the insides of the box, one bag on each side of the passenger. I have never needed any more space and I carry more crap on the trail than 2 of my buddies ATV's combined and I still have room for a chain saw and 2nd passenger. (no kidding). Most just use a bunjy net and a large duffel on top of the front box. I have even strapped a full size whitetail deer on the front box. It has holes around the perimeter for ratchet straps and bunji cords. I also recommend the Koplin Ratcheting Grip that is designed for our Polaris. On the X2 both grips can be used on one side of the box. They sit on the top sides of the box and wont reduce any box storage space. I leave them on all the time. I love these things. It carries my Mathews bow or Gun in hunting season or shovels/axe/etc all year round. It will grip and hold just about anything. One of the have to have items ever for my ATV.

You need these bags for your X2. It is what I use and they are outstanding. They have Velcro straps that hold them very securely but can be taken on or off in 20 seconds. You can still use most of your bed in the 1up position.
http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Polaris-Accessories-Sportsman-2876088/dp/B001120IIK

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The X2 is not that popular in my area. If you guys want to take some pictures of the bed area with a tape measure showing the lengths I can see what we can come up with here at the store.

Thanks Thor, I'll get some measurements to you. Polaris does have a rear hard box for one up riding (not for me). A three sided soft piece for when the passenger seat is operational could be a popular accessory.
The X2 seems like a supreme ranch/property owners delight... Then a play rig. It is roomy for two.
The g/f & I plan to putt putt around, seeing the sights, smell the roses etc, which for the passeneger on a X2, soft luggage is/would be deluxe.

A lot will work with the X2....
Thanks Mystro, you have a nice set-up for sure. I do have the dual cargo bags ordered. The fender bags will follow.

I like the looks/idea of the American Trails Low Center front bag... as long as I don't need to drill holes.
Anyone have experience with it?

My goal of setting up my X2 is to not weigh down an already 799 lb atv.
Light cordura gear and when I need them replacement tires no bigger than either 8/10 or 9/11-26's.

Polaris does make this, but my dealer says it doesn't fit so well when the passenger seat is up for use...?

·
Registered
3,843 Posts

Thanks Thor, I'll get some measurements to you. Polaris does have a rear hard box for one up riding (not for me). A three sided soft piece for when the passenger seat is operational could be a popular accessory.
The X2 seems like a supreme ranch/property owners delight... Then a play rig. It is roomy for two.
The g/f & I plan to putt putt around, seeing the sights, smell the roses etc, which for the passeneger on a X2, soft luggage is/would be deluxe.

A lot will work with the X2....
Thanks Mystro, you have a nice set-up for sure. I do have the dual cargo bags ordered. The fender bags will follow.

I like the looks/idea of the American Trails Low Center front bag... as long as I don't need to drill holes.
Anyone have experience with it?

My goal of setting up my X2 is to not weigh down an already 799 lb atv.
Light cordura gear and when I need them replacement tires no bigger than either 8/10 or 9/11-26's.

Polaris does make this, but my dealer says it doesn't fit so well when the passenger seat is up for use...?

Also get the the measurements with the rear seat in place.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I didn't the big rear bag because I couldn't use the excuse that I bought the X2 for her and I. I do have the rear bags that work with the X2 in the 2 up mode.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'd be happy if someone made fender flares for it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You can install the Kolpin fender flares but the back don't not necessaryily fit 100% but it can be done. The ones I used was for the 2-up.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Strange one will jump on that boat. I guess they feel that there are not enough units sold to justify the cost to build. Those who want them take our touring ones and bolt them up. Cut them where the bed lifts and and just trim off the back piece.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Strange one will jump on that boat. I guess they feel that there are not enough units sold to justify the cost to build. Those who want them take our touring ones and bolt them up. Cut them where the bed lifts and and just trim off the back piece.
Got a pic of the touring flares on the X2? No one wants a hack job (well some like it :slomo:). Kolpin flares?

The rarity of the X2 (?), also makes for the coolness of the X2.

Don't buy one!!! LOL

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks for the info. A touring one will be better than nothing.:)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Got a pic of the touring flares on the X2? No one wants a hack job (well some like it :slomo:). Kolpin flares?

The rarity of the X2 (?), also makes for the coolness of the X2.

Don't buy one!!! LOL
I love my X2 as well. The cargo box 2 seat setup is a great idea.

·
Registered
574 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Of course with the dump bed flares are trickier. Probably many X2's live on a ranch in stock condition.
I hope to keep stock diameter 26's upon replacement although 8/10 widths are tougher to find.
Plenty of 26-9/11's and then the need for flares...

I have the dual cargo bags, & one fender bag on order.
I think that will do while I learn this machine. :veryhappy:
I have a steep slime hill to conquer!

·
Registered
40 Posts
There's another post on here about this rack. I guess the welds were a bit weak and the weight of the metal is a bit light. I still want one but might needs some modding to hold up to the rough terrain. I think Thor was getting measurements to spec one out.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts