Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to buy an X2 or touring but can't decide. i like the X2 for the bed and convertible 2 person seat, but it doesn't have power steering or aluminum wheels, plus i can't get it in a 850. i like the touring because it has power steering and nicer stock wheels and i can get it in an 850. but wonder if i would miss the lack of storage space on the touring. i mostly trail ride and ride around our farm. i want something my wife and i can ride together. but a large amount of the time i will riding it by myself. i have a ranger or pickup to do hard work on the farm. so this atv will be used mostly for play. can any body tell me how they like or dislike their touring and x2 machines?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
We like our Touring 800, and the wifey happy on the back and on the front at times!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I am with ya, the X2 is the better configuration for its extream versatilty. It is expected that Polaris will anounce the 850 EPS X2 for 2011. I know a lot of people are wanting one, myself included.

There is an otional rear cargo box that can drop in place of the back seat on the Touring. I think if i had to have a two up capable machine, and could not wait on the 850 X2 to make its way to market, I would go with the touring model, the EPS is just not something I could live without now that I have had it for year. I never plan to buy another ATV without EPS.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey cc1999, have you tried putting the X2 in the back of a full size pickup with a 6.6' bed? My buddy is thinking about selling his 2005 700 Sportsman and getting a 2010 550 X2 but he is afraid it won't fit. He knows the tailgate will not go all the way up but if he can get it up half way it will clear his travel trailer. With the 2005 the tailgate just misses latching and the X2 is just slightly longer wheelbase and the rear overhang is pretty high so he is hoping it will fit.
Anyone have an X2 they load in a pickup and have any comments?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I haul mine in the back of an 8 foot bed 1/2 ton truck quite a bit, with the tailgate closed, it should be no problem in a 6.5 foot bed truck but as with most all big utes 2 seaters and single seaters typically you can not close the tail gates on 6.5 foot bed trucks.

I use to run 6.5 foot bed trucks and what I found to be worth every penny is the LA guard dog hitch atachment to hold them in place. No need for straps and you can still pull a small trailer if needed. But will need a wire harness extention to pull a trailer.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0012491520863a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=la+guard+dog+&Ntk=Product_liberal&QueryText=la+guard+dog+&sort=all&_D:hasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/search/search-box.jsp.form23

http://www.laguarddog.com/content.asp?CatId=222

With a machine as large as the X2 you want to know it is secure, the LA guard dog is the best 160 bucks you can spend if you cary your quad in the bed of a truck with the tailgate down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kxoqZXBfws

·
Registered
39 Posts
His problem is its a 25 foot travel trailer so the guard dog would not work. I think he is going to end up at a dealer to see if they will stick an X2 in his truck to see how it looks.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Ya, a 25 foot camper would pose a problem, the LA guard dog is fine with a small trailer maybe a couple thousand pounds, but that is it.

I am 100% positive X2's will not fit in a 6.5 bed with the tailgate closed, it will not even be close. My single seater 850 has a bumper on the front and will not fit in a 6.5 foot truck, I am not sure it would fit without the bumper.

·
Registered
66 Posts
We have an '09 Touring 800 and I do like the rims (plus 2010's get 14" rims) but I don't miss not having powersteering. As for storage I am getting the optional box for the back but recently when we went riding I wore my snowmobiling backpack and she still have plenty of room behind me and that. If I got to do it again I'd get the 850.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
after having the power steering on mine, i don't know if i could ever go back. i figured with 2 people the power steering would make it handle all the better. i'm trying to decide now between the 550 or 850 on the touring. i test drove the 850 and they have a lot of power but i've read they can be gas guzzlers. my 550 has great power but adding a passenger might hold the 550 down some.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just sold my 550. i'm going shopping this weekend! we're supposed to get some snow so i may want to play!

550 touring or 850 touring any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
thats a hard question.... the 850 is going to be a little smoother running engine because of the twin cylinder set-up. you are also going to have more torque with double the ignition strokes, which may come in handy with an additional person on board...depends on how much power you think you will need or your wife can handle you using. the big issue is fuel consumption. if this wasnt an issue at all with your 550, then it probably wont be with the 850 either. just gotta think about where and how you ride. if you were running your tank close to empty on the 550 before you had the chance to fill up, then maybe stick with the 550.

IMO, all the benefits of the 850 outweigh the 550 except for "IF" fuel consumption will be an issue. for me personally, it wouldnt be....as far as the areas we have here to ride, fuel is always within reach in one way or another. the other side is you can get creative and be able to carry 5-10 (or even more) additional gallons of gas on board, if your not concerned with about 8lbs per gallon of weight in additional fuel

·
Registered
369 Posts
Ya, I agree the 850 is well worth the $$$ difference and the effort to pack fuel on the longer all day rides we do from time to time. If you ever ride high altitude areas, then I would not be looking at a 550 in a 2 up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you've got the coin get the 850. I test rode the 500 touring before I got the 800 and it's night and day. On snowy trails with my wife on the back I was wishing for some more ponies but then again I've always owned a sled up till now. You'll be happy with it I'm sure!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya, I agree the 850 is well worth the $$$ difference and the effort to pack fuel on the longer all day rides we do from time to time. If you ever ride high altitude areas, then I would not be looking at a 550 in a 2 up.
will the altitude affect the power that much on a 550? we will be going in the mountains with it. we took our ranger last summer to taylor park colorado and with me, my wife and son and all the gear we could handle. their we're a couple of steep inclines i could tell it was pulling the ranger.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I ride at Taylor park, at least a couple times a year, and yes high altitude like in the Colorado, will effect power as much as -30% compared to a more normal altitude range of 0-4000 foot. Last summer I road my 850 one day in taylor and switched to my Kingquad 750 the next day, and there is a very significant difference in power of the 2. I think that 2 people + gear on a 550, would be a noticable challange in certan areas where the 850 won't miss beat. I have no doubt that the 550 can get you there, but I have a feeling low range will be involved a lot more than one would like.

I log more miles out there every summer on the all day rides over 2 or 3 3-4 day rides we do in Colorado every summer then all the afternoon rides we do back here at home the rest of the year. There is just no way I would want a 550 for the amount of riding we do out there in CO. But thats me, I thought the KQ 750 was struggleing at times. So it got sold and replaced with another 850. I know the 550 and 850 are pretty much the same machine, but to me it is just so much nicer with a well balanced twin with plenty of power on tap at all times, that I am not sure what the appeal of the 550 would be other then a slightly lower price. That touring model plus gear, accessories, and 2 adult sized people on board, is going to weigh 1100-1300 pounds. That IMO is a lot for a 550 to lug around at any altitude, much less at 12000-13000 feet.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info. I just hate how small the gas tanks are on these machines. my ranger has a 9 gallon tank and we can ride all day with no worries. we rode over a hundred miles in one day at taylor park. my ranger doesn't get that great of fuel economy on the farm and trail riding, but the tank is large enough to get by.

so you ride a lot in taylor park? what is your favorite trail? we rode there this summer and i fell in love. thats what made me buy another atv. in the past i used my ranger for farm work. but after our trip to taylor park, i bought 2 more atvs and we've been to tennessee and arkansas since. i love to trail ride.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I like the trail to the north of the the trading post, that runs up Texas creek to the lakes. I also like the taking the trail to the west of Tincup around down through the valley back to the Trading post. I think I have been on most of them, but I don't really know there names.

Here is a pic of the Fuel pack setup I have for my 850. This setup will give you over well 100 mile range on an 850, in the mountains I get about 20mpg. Back home at 1-2000 foot elivation I get around 15-18mpg out of the 850. On super slow technicle trails I am in the 10-14mpg, but in those sort of trails it takes all day to go 40 or 50 miles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2008 Touring 500, and have never had any problems with power/speed/ or steering. My wife and I have been very happy with it. I haul mine in the back of my 6' bed and you can't close the tailgate, but the rear tires do set mostly on the bed, not the tailgate. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thats a hard question.... the 850 is going to be a little smoother running engine because of the twin cylinder set-up. you are also going to have more torque with double the ignition strokes, which may come in handy with an additional person on board...depends on how much power you think you will need or your wife can handle you using. the big issue is fuel consumption. if this wasnt an issue at all with your 550, then it probably wont be with the 850 either. just gotta think about where and how you ride. if you were running your tank close to empty on the 550 before you had the chance to fill up, then maybe stick with the 550.

IMO, all the benefits of the 850 outweigh the 550 except for "IF" fuel consumption will be an issue. for me personally, it wouldnt be....as far as the areas we have here to ride, fuel is always within reach in one way or another. the other side is you can get creative and be able to carry 5-10 (or even more) additional gallons of gas on board, if your not concerned with about 8lbs per gallon of weight in additional fuel
I just found a 2010 850 touring listed online for 9500 out the door. the problem is that its in utah. i called the dealer and they told that 9500 was out the door with no set up or doc fees.

·
Registered
369 Posts
1 - 20 of 48 Posts