Polaris ATV Forum banner

Sportsman XP 1000 exhaust - what is your quad's status?

• No issues - good to go!

Votes: 39 26.7%
  • It gets a little hot - no glowing or melting plastic

Votes: 37 25.3%
  • Gets hot and glows cherry red sometimes/often

Votes: 38 26.0%
  • Gets very hot - melted plastic, heat shields coming apart...damnit Jim!!

Votes: 32 21.9%
1 - 20 of 877 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read multiple threads about the Sportsman XP 1000 exhaust getting hot, glowing, melting plastic, etc. However, what we don't have a grip on is what percentage of folks are having issues and to what extent. I'd like to start this poll so that hopefully we get a representative sample over time. This gives folks the opportunity to rate the level of issues, if any they are having.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
When I took mine out for 3 hours the other day but couldn't tell any real heat issues but I'm going to ride all weekend so I'll give a report on monday

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I hav 1200 miles on now, no issue's

·
Registered
107 Posts
so far so good. One an two are basically the same. All exhausts will get a little hot. I hope this gets a lot of imput.

·
Registered
482 Posts
950 miles, never any heat issues. My can ams all burned my legs, big difference

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so far so good. One an two are basically the same. All exhausts will get a little hot. I hope this gets a lot of imput.
Thanks MaxP - the difference between #1 and #2 is supposed to be that #1 means no issues whatsoever, #2 means the plastic is getting rather hot - hotter than it should. Incidentally that's where mine is at - there's one spot on the right side where the black plastic by the exhaust (just below the gap with the upper painted plastic) gets very hot - will burn you if you touch it, but it's not close to melting (yet).

Good insights so far - let's keep the poll/discussion going!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
i haven't really seen any complaints about the scrambler 1000 exhaust getting too hot but there is definitely an issue with the sportsman 1000 due to the newly designed exhaust. keep in mind that the scrambler and sportsman use completely different exhaust systems so i think this poll should stay isolated to the sportsman 1000 or the results are going to vary all over the place.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i haven't really seen any complaints about the scrambler 1000 exhaust getting too hot but there is definitely an issue with the sportsman 1000 due to the newly designed exhaust. keep in mind that the scrambler and sportsman use completely different exhaust systems so i think this poll should stay isolated to the sportsman 1000 or the results are going to vary all over the place.
Thanks for the clarification. I've changed my original post to remove "Scrambler". I don't know if I can modify the Poll title to state "Sportsman" but if anyone knows how, please advise.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have 330 miles and 35 hours.. No heat issues..

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm curious men, the guys that responded "no heat issues". Your muffler doesn't turn red at all ? If it don't, you guys are lucky. I'm sick and tired of my muffler turning bright red. Polaris says its normal!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
After somebody said that I went out and run the shit out of it at night and no red exhaust and half the people that voted don't even own one

·
Registered
278 Posts
Well i'm legit and mine does not overheat.. The only issue I had with mine was a defective prop shaft. Replaced under warranty.. Only down side it took 7 weeks to get the part..

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I ran the piss out of mine this week climbing mountains and didn't even feel any heat or color change. Maybe I just got lucky I guess...

·
Registered
278 Posts
I think if my 1000 was overheating I would go to the Big Gun exhaust. Very nice looking system. I am really tempted to do it anyway.. Does anyone know if a programmer is required? after install?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
First Polaris, I would take it back to the dealer

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Yep I had my front drive shaft changed to it was out of balance, only in the shop one week
the problem with some dealers they are on red credit with Polaris, either by paper work not filled out or credit

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if some of the mufflers are just defective. ..im.getting ready to run mine all weekend so I'll be back to report my findings

1 - 20 of 877 Posts